 CAD / 13751
Re: New parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2006 15:22:20 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:
If those are what I think they are, they're not allowed in official parts.  The
tiny hole isn't functional, so it was decided that the solid stud2 should be
used instead.

I don't understand why "not functional" is a criteria. Who says they are not
functional? The LEGO® Company? We, the AFOLs, already "invented" many snot
techniques LEGO never used. Are they forbidden?
As a matter of fact, it is possible to use the small holes of the underside
studs. A plume matches perfectly. I don't know any creations using this building
technique, but if you have a look at Michael Jasper's creations (for example),
plumes are very useful (e.g. for spilt beer:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1256146 )

But still I understand why ldraw.org does not want this primitive: There are so
many objects that are available as two types: With and without holes. It'd be
much work to add a second version of all of them - and it would increase the
chaos. IMHO this hole is similar to the groove of a tile: It is a feature of the
element, but who uses it?

So let's use stud2. But don't say it is not functional, rather say that MLCAD is
not prepared for something like this, for so many new parts with so few new
features.

Leg Godt
Sven