 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 4687
4686  |  4688
Subject:
BSG MK VII viper MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2017 05:19:29 GMT

I posted my MK II Viper a few years back. I finally got around to doing the MK VII version in LDD and rendered in Bluerender.

It is built in the ~1 stud = 1 foot scale I have built my other models to. It is slightly longer than scale, but that is to compensate for the extra width that our overly obese minifigs require.

brickshelf gallery when moderated

In my research, I realized that there are two subtly different versions out there. The original has the wings blending into the fuselage all the way out toward the nose and has different shaped wings. The “MK VIIB” has the wings blending into the fuselage about the midpoint of the nose (and remind me a lot of how the wings on an F-18 blend into the forward fuselage). I chose to try to model the “B” model and used this site put up by one of the VFX modelers for the show as a reference.

This was a difficult build to try to make all the angles come together and look “right” at this scale. The core is a 2x2 structure using the many bricks with studs on their sides that are now available. The model literally has “studs up” in all 6 directions to achieve the form.

I did look at this excellent MOC of the MKVIIA by atomictoaster85 somewhat in the build process as it appeared much smaller and “true to scale” than other MK VII MOCs I have seen online. Given the shape of the rear fuselage behind the cockpit, there are only so many ways to achieve the “stepped” look with LEGO bricks at this size.and that portion of my model does look very similar. I don’t know if I am satisfied with the large sloped wedges on the sides of the rear of the fuselage relative to the MK VII reference I was using and may continue to twiddle with it in the future.

A minifig does barely fit into the cockpit, but as a result, the controls and instrumentation are not as detailed as I would normally like. Yet another compromise when trying to build at a smaller scale.

I have been challenging myself to include fully retractable landing gear in these Viper models that closes cleanly. On the nose gear, I didn’t quite achieve the effect I wanted. I had another nose gear design planned (similar to my LL919 model) but the nose structure became too compromised when I started deleting bricks to make room for the nose gear assembly. So I ended up using a simple hinge piece with a 1x2 brick. It works, but does interrupt the clean lines of the bottom of the craft.

Lastly, I’m not sure I like the minifig surfboards for the wing/tail tips. I thought they would look cool, but are too wide for the scale I’m working at. I would also like to eliminate the gaps on the wing/tail cannons. Again, these are some things I might continue to experiment with. But overall, I believe the design is 90% there, and I am happy with it for now.

Thanks for looking,

drc