 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 4323
4322  |  4324
Subject:
Point Brique Historic Cable Railway Redux
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2008 01:10:47 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I’ve long wanted to try my hand at one of those ‘redux’ MOCs which get talked about every so often, so when the opportunity to exhibit a layout again arose, I leapt at the chance to redux Point Brique.

The PBHCR originally formed a part of the Sydney Lego Train Club (SLTC) layout at the AMRA Hurstville Exhibition in 2007, and was built into a standalone layout for the St Lukes exhibition last year, moving toward the original vision for the PBHCR, and featuring a seaside family recreation area.

The 2008 redux version incorporates a track circuit (rather than the out and back style of 2007) and ran a 9V IR train(1) on modern 9V train track. (I had a backup of a 4.5V battery train but didn’t need to use it).

The interactive features of last year’s design made a return, and were again hugely popular with viewers. Remote switches enabled the viewers to activate the Ferris Wheel, the ‘Spinning Sombrero’ ride, the Merry-go-round (Carousel) and the lighthouse.

The layout incorporated the award winning, as-seen-on-tv Ghost Train, but concerns about its long term reliability meant that I didn’t offer the public the ability to control it. However, despite my concerns, it performed flawlessly over the weekend, even when the main tower was collapsed onto the train track by an overenthusiastic viewer.

PBHCR Redux recieved the ‘Most Entertaining Layout’ award.

Some more pics can be seen here, but be warned they are not of great quality.

Cheers

Richie Dulin
CO Legeaux

FUT .trains

(1) And I am impressed with it (2). I used 1700mAh rechargables (ALDI supermarket specials - $A5 for a pack of four). I got more than 8 hours near constant running out of them. Awesome.

(2) It was a coffee pot style steam railcar, rather than a full train (but 8 wide, and fairly heavy).