 Trains / 29712
29711  |  29713
Subject:
Point Brique Historic Cable Railway
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:15:11 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

“It’s very good” - Australian Attorney General Phillip Ruddock

Ahoy all,

I had the pleasure of exhibiting the rejuvinated Point Brique Historic Cable Railway as a standalone exhibit at the 21st Annual St Lukes Model Railway Exhibition on the weekend. I’ve been exhibiting non-Lego model railways (HO, N and 1) there for the past 12 years, so it was quite a change to show a small LEGO layout instead.

The PBHCR itself had formed a part of the Sydney Lego Train Club (SLTC) layout at the AMRA Hurstville Exhibition, but had sustained a bit of damage in transit to and fro, so it was rebuilt slightly. The grander, original vision for the PBHCR was it be a feature in a seaside family recreation area, and so the St Lukes Exhibition gave me an opportunity to approach that vision.

As exhibited, PBHCR features the PBHCR itself, an in-and-out 4.5V train (35+ years old and still going strong!), and several carnival rides. The Ferris Wheel is a modified Creator set, the Ghost Train a smaller version of the one CM Stump Dunn had as part of the SLTC layout (though mine features a dancing ghost on the roof), while the Merry-Go-Round (carousel) is of my own design.

As a keen observer of community, I’ve long held that the key to exhibiting trains is to get the viewers involved. Non-trainphiles are only happy to watch a train navigating a circle for so long. And kids are prone to get grumpy if presented with something profoundly interesting (a toy train!) and told sternly “Don’t touch”.

My approach to dealing with this was many fold. Firstly, no endless circuits. A zippy out and back, with the train disappearing into the tunnel each time. Secondly, characters and scenes to get people interested and looking more deeply - how many Harry Potters or Batmans could they find? Why was Santa Claus being arrested (he was an imposter, the real one was riding the Ferris Wheel) Was that really Steve Irwin wrestling the stingray?

Thirdly, though I made the layout interactive. Three switches on long cables controlled the rides. The kids viewing (and the adults too, if they could get in front of the kids), could press the buttons and run the rides. Vool. Kids would arrive at the layout, their parents would intone “Don’t touch” for the umpteenth time, and I’d say “Actually, you can’t touch the layout, but you can drive part of it.”

Heaps of kids declared they were going home to build something out of Lego. Heaps of older people recognised components from sets they’d had as a child. It was a tour de force to be reckoned with, I reckon.

The St Lukes organisers were impressed, and PBHCR was awarded the prize for the most entertaining layout. And I got Mr Ruddock’s endorsement. ;-)

More pics, of PBHCR and a couple of the other layouts here, post moderation.

Cheers

Richie Dulin

(please consider your FUT if replying)