 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 3859
3858  |  3860
Subject:
Space-Themed "Traffic Jam" Puzzle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2007 22:59:45 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

This is my latest creation - I haven’t built anything in quite a while, and I haven’t posted on Lugnet in an even longer time. I built (as the title says) a space-themed “Traffic Jam”-type puzzle. Probably a bunch of you have seen the original game, but I’m not going to mention the name for trademark reasons. Basically, it comes with a grid, cars and trucks, and a deck of puzzle cards. You set up the vehicles according to the card, and then you have to slide them along their current axis only, in order to unblock “your” car, which then slides out a slot in the side. I recently drafted the Motion Power set with the VLC, which yielded me a large quantity of tiles. (ooooh...yessss...tiles...)... I like tiles. ;) Because of this, I realized that I could finally build a small game board, and I immediately thought of this one. I don’t really know how it ended up being space-themed, but it worked out fairly well.

Here’s a shot of the board with all the pieces on it:

And here’s a shot of the board empty, so you can see how it’s made:

You can check out the pieces in these pictures. Note the Magic School Bus spaceship in the second one. I just threw that in there for laughs... My grade 3 teacher had almost every book in the series at the time.

I’ve also made a GIF animation of the game-play, for those who haven’t seen the original game. You can find it here (Warning: 4.64MB file - you may want to download it first and view it locally.) Please excuse the lighting differences between frames - I think the flash didn’t go off once, and the clouds outside were moving a bit.

PLMKWYT,

Jeffery MacEachern