 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 3221
Subject:
first train MOCS ever.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 4 Feb 2006 16:44:53 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

So the Vancouver Lego Club built a western themed layout for our shows this last year and I decided to build my first locomotive for them. What loco is more western themed than a 4-4-0? We wanted 8 wide for that authentic scale feel to it and this is what I came up with.

Gallery post mod http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=166839

The drive wheels are driven by a Rube Goldberg-esque contraption of gears and universal joints that connect to a technic motor in the tender of all places. I had originally put it in the boiler but it was just too heavy because if you look closely, you can see that the drive wheels don’t touch the track. There is nothing between the front wheels and the tender.

I also made an attempt at a fully operational 8 wide Shay locomotive. I have to admit that it never functioned quite properly. It works in theory, but it has a lot of trouble going through points and around s-bends. It can handle a smooth curve though which I thought was pretty cool. The trucks, as you can see in the picture, are completely floating. The only thing attaching the body of the train to the wheels are the two u-joints on either side of the pistons. My hope is that someone can take this concept and improve upon it to work out the bugs. At this point in the design, it would have to be pushed by a motor or more likely two motors because of the weight.

Gallery post mod http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=166840

Thanks for looking, and comments are appreciated. Nathan Proudlove

Re: My first train MOC's ever
In lugnet.announce.moc, Nathan Proudlove wrote:
[...]

I love the radar dishes on the first one and the black wheels on top of the second one. Space parts as part of Old West trains is just classic. I like the trains as a whole too. I’ve always wanted my LUG to have a Wild West portion on one of our train layouts. Hopefully we’ll be able to build some trains as nice as your’s one of these days.

David

Re: first train MOCS ever.
In lugnet.announce.moc, Nathan Proudlove wrote:

<snip>

   Thanks for looking, and comments are appreciated.

Welcome to Trains, welcome to 8wide, Nathan! You have some very nice entry MOCs here, and have quickly ascertained the dilemma facing train builders-- form to follow function, or function to follow form. Of course it is a game of compromises, and you have navigated well. Some other considerations are building for static display only, or running on straights only, or running on straight-curve-straight-curve-etc only (no points or S’s). These limitations can free up some design problems.

Looking forward to more!

JOHN

Re: first train MOCS ever.
   In lugnet.announce.moc, Nathan Proudlove wrote:

<snip>

   Thanks for looking, and comments are appreciated.

Welcome to Trains, welcome to 8wide, Nathan! You have some very nice entry MOCs here, and have quickly ascertained the dilemma facing train builders-- form to follow function, or function to follow form. Of course it is a game of compromises, and you have navigated well. Some other considerations are building for static display only, or running on straights only, or running on straight-curve-straight-curve-etc only (no points or S’s). These limitations can free up some design problems.

Looking forward to more!

JOHN

I will echo John’s sentiments... except for the eight-wide bit. It is an evil scale and far too large ;) Go to six or seven and feel the love.

Tim

PS. I especially liked the Shay but they’re both really good first trains.

Re: first train MOCS ever.
   I will echo John’s sentiments... except for the eight-wide bit. It is an evil scale and far too large ;) Go to six or seven and feel the love.

I have heard the 8 wide vs. 6 and 7 wide debate before. Truth be told, I will probably go with 6 wide for shows from now on. 8 wide trains are he-he-heavy and brutal on motors when run for long periods of time. I do prefer the actual look of the 8 wide scale though.

Nathan

Re: first train MOCS ever.
In lugnet.trains, Nathan Proudlove wrote:

   I will echo John’s sentiments... except for the eight-wide bit. It is an evil scale and far too large ;) Go to six or seven and feel the love.

I have heard the 8 wide vs. 6 and 7 wide debate before.

:-)

   Truth be told, I will probably go with 6 wide for shows from now on.

:-(