 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2514
2513  |  2515
Subject:
Some G.I.Joe minifig customs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.minifigs, lugnet.org.ca.parlugment, lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.parts.mod
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 20:07:03 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hello to one and all

I thought that there might be some interest in the images of my customized minifigures now up on Brickshelf. Over the holidays, I was very busy with a friend’s scanner, getting “record shots” of the majority of my custom work. It’s not all online yet, but eventually... :)

Anyway, to start off discussion of the various projects, I thought I would start with a posting about a trio of characters from the G.I.Joe mythos:

Cobra Commander:

front view

rear view

Destro:

front view

rear view

3/4 rear view

Snake Eyes:

front view

rear view

side view

All three customs use the revamped character designs seen in the recent comic-book revival of the G.I.Joe series by Devil’s Due Studios.

Now, I’m too old (and the wrong nationality, besides...) to have any affection for characters from this rather dimwitted 1980’s TV series *, but a regular customer of mine commissioned the figures, and I rather like the way they came out. :) I think I’ve caught the essence of the character designs fairly well, anyway.

From a customizing point of view, the interesting elements are Destro and Snake Eyes’ “rounded” heads (each of which has the stud on a stock Lego minifig head hidden with an application of epoxy putty) and Cobra Commander’s cowl (which uses my standard technique for cowls, thin styrene plunge-moulded over a “rounded” minifig head).

As far as decoration goes, all existing printing on the various Lego pieces was removed using fine wet&dry sandpaper, and new patterns painted on as necessary by hand using acrylic paints. A coat of thinned acrylic polyurethane floor varnish serves to protect the paintwork.

I’m interested to hear what people think of these figures, and will try to answer any questions you have about techniques or materials related to them.

Thanks for taking the time to read and look.

Norbert Black

* Some things, you just have to experience the first time as a young child! Those of you who were the right age to get captured have nothing to be ashamed of -- ask me about my irrational affection for Gerry Anderson’s puppet-based science fiction series such as “Fireball XL5” and “Thunderbirds”, for instance... :)