 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2464
2463  |  2465
Subject:
My Second MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 01:31:27 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

This is my second MOC, a castle I built for BrickFest 2004.

It was inspired by the amazing work of Johannes Koehler, which can be seen
particularly in the trees and building details (i.e. the balcony). Inspiration
also came from Brendan Powell Smith, and the chairs are a modification of one of
his designs. I am in awe of both of these incredible creators.

I wanted to build something around the original tower with the stained glass
windows and hand panels, and the rest of the 'castle' arose from there. In the
tower, I particularly wanted to incorporate the symbols of a double spiral,
trees in different seasons, and hands, because these are bizarrely significant
to me. I am pretty happy with how it all came out, although I know it could be
better. But I am pleased with the windows :)

I learned several things. 1. What looks like a lot of foliage in a zip lock does
not turn out to be much on a baseplate. 2. One cannot have enough 1x2 bricks. 3.
640 x 480 pixels is optimal, and zipping the images is faster than uploading
them one by one. 4. Brickshelf numbers 10 between 1 and 2, as opposed to after
09.

Thanks to Geoff Gray, who took the professional-looking photos. I took the
amateur ones, except for the first pic, which I grabbed from someone's (can't
remember) Brickfest pics, and another that Eric Sophie took.

Thanks for looking, and PLMKWYT.
Cyndi