 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2464

Subject:
My Second MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 01:31:27 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

This is my second MOC, a castle I built for BrickFest 2004.

It was inspired by the amazing work of Johannes Koehler, which can be seen
particularly in the trees and building details (i.e. the balcony). Inspiration
also came from Brendan Powell Smith, and the chairs are a modification of one of
his designs. I am in awe of both of these incredible creators.

I wanted to build something around the original tower with the stained glass
windows and hand panels, and the rest of the 'castle' arose from there. In the
tower, I particularly wanted to incorporate the symbols of a double spiral,
trees in different seasons, and hands, because these are bizarrely significant
to me. I am pretty happy with how it all came out, although I know it could be
better. But I am pleased with the windows :)

I learned several things. 1. What looks like a lot of foliage in a zip lock does
not turn out to be much on a baseplate. 2. One cannot have enough 1x2 bricks. 3.
640 x 480 pixels is optimal, and zipping the images is faster than uploading
them one by one. 4. Brickshelf numbers 10 between 1 and 2, as opposed to after
09.

Thanks to Geoff Gray, who took the professional-looking photos. I took the
amateur ones, except for the first pic, which I grabbed from someone's (can't
remember) Brickfest pics, and another that Eric Sophie took.

Thanks for looking, and PLMKWYT.
Cyndi

Re: My Second MOC
In lugnet.announce.moc, Cynthia Bradham wrote:
This is my second MOC, a castle I built for BrickFest 2004.

It was inspired by the amazing work of Johannes Koehler, which can be seen
particularly in the trees and building details (i.e. the balcony). Inspiration
also came from Brendan Powell Smith, and the chairs are a modification of one of
his designs. I am in awe of both of these incredible creators.

I wanted to build something around the original tower with the stained glass
windows and hand panels, and the rest of the 'castle' arose from there. In the
tower, I particularly wanted to incorporate the symbols of a double spiral,
trees in different seasons, and hands, because these are bizarrely significant
to me. I am pretty happy with how it all came out, although I know it could be
better. But I am pleased with the windows :)

snip

Thanks for looking, and PLMKWYT.
Cyndi

Cynthia,

Glad you posted it, it was a pleasure seeing it at BF and I enjoyed "revisiting"
it through the pictures you have posted.  I was mesmerised by the windows when I
first saw it, so I am happy now to have a chance to appreciate some of the other
fine details I missed.

Janey "Red Brick"

Re: My Second MOC
In lugnet.build, C. L. GunningCook wrote:
In lugnet.announce.moc, Cynthia Bradham wrote:
This is my second MOC, a castle I built for BrickFest 2004.

Thanks for looking, and PLMKWYT.
Cyndi

Cynthia,

Glad you posted it, it was a pleasure seeing it at BF and I enjoyed "revisiting"
it through the pictures you have posted.  I was mesmerised by the windows when I
first saw it, so I am happy now to have a chance to appreciate some of the other
fine details I missed.

Janey "Red Brick"

Thanks for the kind words Janey, I loved your stained glass too. Glad you liked
the castle :)
Take care-
Cyndi

Re: My Second MOC
In lugnet.announce.moc, Cynthia Bradham wrote:
This is my second MOC, a castle I built for BrickFest 2004.

It was inspired by the amazing work of Johannes Koehler, which can be seen
particularly in the trees and building details (i.e. the balcony). Inspiration
also came from Brendan Powell Smith, and the chairs are a modification of one of
his designs. I am in awe of both of these incredible creators.

A simply beautiful model, and one that really has to be seen in person to fully
appreciate. I'm glad to see these pics because I was doing 'administrative
duties' - running like a chicken without a head - during BrickFest.

The front section was shown at the August NCLUG meeting, where there was a LOT
of admiration for the windows!

I wanted to build something around the original tower with the stained glass
windows and hand panels, and the rest of the 'castle' arose from there. In the
tower, I particularly wanted to incorporate the symbols of a double spiral,
trees in different seasons, and hands, because these are bizarrely significant
to me. I am pretty happy with how it all came out, although I know it could be
better. But I am pleased with the windows :)

I dunno about better :-) - this looks great!

I learned several things. 1. What looks like a lot of foliage in a zip lock does
not turn out to be much on a baseplate. 2. One cannot have enough 1x2 bricks. 3.
640 x 480 pixels is optimal, and zipping the images is faster than uploading
them one by one. 4. Brickshelf numbers 10 between 1 and 2, as opposed to after
09.

Your pix were a bit big the first time you uploaded :-), but I got a good look
at some detailing....wowzers!

Thanks to Geoff Gray, who took the professional-looking photos. I took the
amateur ones, except for the first pic, which I grabbed from someone's (can't
remember) Brickfest pics, and another that Eric Sophie took.

Thanks for looking, and PLMKWYT.

This looks really great! I'm just wondering what you'll be doing
next.....considering you built your first MOC this past year, then this
award-winning castle....any clues?

I'm going to have to take another look at your pics to pick up a pointer or two!

That Joe Meno Guy
NCLUG, um, Administrator? Yeah, that looks right :-)

Cyndi

Re: My Second MOC
A simply beautiful model, and one that really has to be seen in person to fully
appreciate. I'm glad to see these pics because I was doing 'administrative
duties' - running like a chicken without a head - during BrickFest.

I agree with Joe, it's depressing how much good stuff I missed, or only got to
glance at... these pics fill in a lot of the details I didn't get to see at the
time.

I love stained glass, especially when used in non liturgical contexts...
Spotlighted! Thanks for sharing!

Re: My Second MOC
A simply beautiful model, and one that really has to be seen in person to fully
appreciate. I'm glad to see these pics because I was doing 'administrative
duties' - running like a chicken without a head - during BrickFest.

I agree with Joe, it's depressing how much good stuff I missed, or only got to
glance at... these pics fill in a lot of the details I didn't get to see at the
time.

I love stained glass, especially when used in non liturgical contexts...
Spotlighted! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Lar, I'm glad you liked it.
-Cyndi

Re: My Second MOC
In lugnet.announce.moc, Cynthia Bradham wrote:
This is my second MOC, a castle I built for BrickFest 2004.

A simply beautiful model, and one that really has to be seen in person to fully
appreciate. I'm glad to see these pics because I was doing 'administrative
duties' - running like a chicken without a head - during BrickFest.

Yeah, you were busy!

The front section was shown at the August NCLUG meeting, where there was a LOT
of admiration for the windows!

Thanks Joe, you are sweet. And supportive, which I really appreciate!

I learned several things. 1. What looks like a lot of foliage in a zip lock does
not turn out to be much on a baseplate. 2. One cannot have enough 1x2 bricks. 3.
640 x 480 pixels is optimal, and zipping the images is faster than uploading
them one by one. 4. Brickshelf numbers 10 between 1 and 2, as opposed to after
09.

Your pix were a bit big the first time you uploaded :-), but I got a good look
at some detailing....wowzers!

This was a major Brickshelf learning experience, and as usual, I learn the hard
way, manually uploading each image only to find they're all too big (could I
have checked after the first image? No.) Then I resized and remembered about
uploading zipped archives.....

This looks really great! I'm just wondering what you'll be doing
next.....considering you built your first MOC this past year, then this
award-winning castle....any clues?

Not sure....I have some ideas....This building was intended to be one of 3, and
I'd still like to build the other two.

I'm going to have to take another look at your pics to pick up a pointer or two!

Yeah, right. More like, I'll pick up pointers from you ;)

That Joe Meno Guy
NCLUG, um, Administrator? Yeah, that looks right :-)

Uh huh, that's who you are :)

Thanks again Joe-

Cyndi

Re: My Second MOC