 Announcements / 926
925  |  927
Subject:
Instruction and Catalog scans
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 22:26:44 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I'd like to remind everyone that uses the BrickShelf gallery that
*complete* instruction and catalog scans do not belong in gallery
folders.  Uploading that material has always been a violation of the
TOS.  I'd like to explain some reasons for this:

1. The legal terms you agree to by uploading to a gallery account are very
different to the terms for submission to the scan library.  By uploading
to the gallery you are claiming that you either own copyright to the material
or you have the permission of the copyright holder.  By submitting to the scan
library you agree that all copyrights are owned by TLC.  You wouldn't want TLC
to claim ownership of your material and they probably don't want you claiming
ownership of theirs.

2. A vast collection of reference material like the scan library should be
rigorously organized and formatted with a central index and sensible navigation
scheme.

3. The purpose of the gallery is to showcase fan creations and other fan
created materials.  A large number of instruction and catalog scans would
distract from the original content.

While I don't have the resources to discover and delete all uploads that
violate the TOS, I reserve the right to do so.  Don't be surprised if I do.

That said, I strongly encourage the submission of instruction and catalog scans
to the scan library, by following the instructions here:

http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/README

Once the gallery code has a few additional key features I will use another
instance of it for the scan library.  This will allow for uploading submissions
the same way gallery content is uploaded.  It will also allow for multiple
admins (possibly even TLC if they were interested in that) to
process uploads and move them online.

KL