 Announcements / 3547
3546  |  3548
Subject:
*** LDView Version 3.2 Beta 1 Released ***
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 9 Jun 2007 06:15:29 GMT

LDView 3.2 Beta 1 is now available for download from the LDView downloads page here:

http://ldview.sourceforge.net/Downloads.html

This is a Beta release, which means that I’m hoping to get as much feedback as possible. This also means that it is likely not as stable as a final release, so you probably don’t want to try it out if you absolutely hate using buggy software. (Having said that, this release does have some bug fixes in it that significantly improve command line image generation.) The translations have not yet been updated to work with this release, and translations created for version 3.1 will refuse to load.

Some notable changes:
  • Generate an HTML parts list for your model. (This should generate an accurate part count even for MPD files with multiple instances of sub-models, and arbitrary nesting. However, mirrored sub-models will generate mirror image parts for those parts that aren’t symmetric.) This uses Peeron for part images (with permission).
  • Light source direction can now be changed. There are nine pre-defined directions in the Preferences, plus you can rotate to any arbitrary direction by holding down shift and dragging with the mouse in the model view.
  • Support for light.dat files in LDraw models (up to a maximum of 8 total lights)
  • LDView can now be used to generate thumbnails in Windows Explorer thumbnail view in Windows* and Gnome Nautilus file browser in Linux**.
  • Zoom to Fit no longer messes up the rotation center.
  • As noted above, various command line processing fixes that greatly improve the overall experience when using LDView to create images from the command line.
  • Universal Mac Binary version. (Uses QT Mac, but does not require X11.)
* While I don’t think it will do so, this feature can potentially crash Windows Explorer, since it uses a DLL loaded into the Windows Explorer process. If you can’t live with that, don’t click the check box in the installer (it isn’t installed by default). Also, if you browse any folders with .ldr/.mpd files and then try to uninstall LDView, the uninstall won’t fully succeed.
** This is in the ldview-gnome-3.2beta1-1.i386.rpm file.

Please see the full change history here.

Mac users: the current DMG file contains a package that creates an LDView directory in /Applications. The LDView directory contains LDView.app and a number of other files. After talking with a Mac user, I’ve come to the conclusion that this isn’t the appropriate way to do things, but that’s how things are for this Beta release. I’ll just put all the files (including LDView.app) into a DMG without a package for the next release. Also, there are some minor glitches in the PPC version (like the LDView mini icon in the window title bar doesn’t look right). I don’t have a PPC Mac, though, so I can only test via Rosetta on my Intel Mac. Please let me know if you have problems. Finally, LDView only allows you to have one file open at a time. I know this isn’t the way things are done on the Mac, but fixing this is a really big undertaking, and likely won’t get done for a while. It is possible to launch multiple instances of LDView, but you can only do this from the command line.

Please send any bugs, suggestions, or other feedback to ldview@gmail.com. As mentioned above, the main reason for this release is to get feedback so that the official release will be as high-quality as possible.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)