||*** LDView Version 3.2 Beta 1 Released ***
||Sat, 9 Jun 2007 06:15:29 GMT
||"Travis Cobbs" <tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com>
View Raw |
LDView 3.2 Beta 1 is now available for download from the LDView downloads page
This is a Beta release, which means that Im hoping to get as much feedback as
possible. This also means that it is likely not as stable as a final release, so
you probably dont want to try it out if you absolutely hate using buggy
software. (Having said that, this release does have some bug fixes in it that
significantly improve command line image generation.) The translations have not
yet been updated to work with this release, and translations created for version
3.1 will refuse to load.
Some notable changes:
* While I dont think it will do so, this feature can potentially crash Windows
Explorer, since it uses a DLL loaded into the Windows Explorer process. If you
cant live with that, dont click the check box in the installer (it isnt
installed by default). Also, if you browse any folders with .ldr/.mpd files and
then try to uninstall LDView, the uninstall wont fully succeed.
- Generate an HTML parts list for your model. (This should generate an accurate part count even for MPD files with multiple instances of sub-models, and arbitrary nesting. However, mirrored sub-models will generate mirror image parts for those parts that arent symmetric.) This uses Peeron for part images (with permission).
- Light source direction can now be changed. There are nine pre-defined directions in the Preferences, plus you can rotate to any arbitrary direction by holding down shift and dragging with the mouse in the model view.
- Support for light.dat files in LDraw models (up to a maximum of 8 total lights)
- LDView can now be used to generate thumbnails in Windows Explorer thumbnail view in Windows* and Gnome Nautilus file browser in Linux**.
- Zoom to Fit no longer messes up the rotation center.
- As noted above, various command line processing fixes that greatly improve the overall experience when using LDView to create images from the command line.
- Universal Mac Binary version. (Uses QT Mac, but does not require X11.)
** This is in
the ldview-gnome-3.2beta1-1.i386.rpm file.
Please see the full change history
Mac users: the current DMG file contains a package that creates an LDView
directory in /Applications. The LDView directory contains LDView.app and a
number of other files. After talking with a Mac user, Ive come to the
conclusion that this isnt the appropriate way to do things, but thats how
things are for this Beta release. Ill just put all the files (including
LDView.app) into a DMG without a package for the next release. Also, there are
some minor glitches in the PPC version (like the LDView mini icon in the window
title bar doesnt look right). I dont have a PPC Mac, though, so I can only
test via Rosetta on my Intel Mac. Please let me know if you have problems.
Finally, LDView only allows you to have one file open at a time. I know this
isnt the way things are done on the Mac, but fixing this is a really big
undertaking, and likely wont get done for a while. It is possible to launch
multiple instances of LDView, but you can only do this from the command line.
Please send any bugs, suggestions, or other feedback to email@example.com. As mentioned above, the main reason for this release is to
get feedback so that the official release will be as high-quality as possible.
--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)
Message has 2 Replies:
| ||LDView on USB Key drives|| Travis Cobbs|
|One feature that's not mentioned in the help file, the change history file, or the previous post is (Windows-only) support for running LDView off of removable media (like a USB key). This feature has had very little testing, and has some known (...) (6 years ago, 10-Jun-07, to lugnet.cad, FTX) |
| ||Re: *** LDView Version 3.2 Beta 1 Released ***|| Bram Lambrecht|
|(...) Looks great. Can you make submodel colors propagate to children for parts marked as color 16? (...) Very handy. (...) Another great feature, but is there any way to change the settings (background color, lights) used to make the thumbnails? (...) (6 years ago, 13-Jun-07, to lugnet.cad, FTX) |
4 Messages in This Thread:
- Entire Thread on One Page:
All | Brief | Compact | Dots
All | Brief | Compact