 Ambassadors / 30
Re: Your LEGO Dream Set?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.ambassadors
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2006 04:13:36 GMT

In lugnet.ambassadors, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, John Cooper wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, Nelson Yrizarry wrote:

What would be your LEGO Dream Set?

I’ll stick with the answer I posted to a similar thread about a year ago:

Globe model kit (18” - 24” diameter) with stand.

I’ll second this as well. The last survey for S@H that the Ambassadors did included many recommendations for a globe, and I was quite disappointed the suggestion for it didn’t make it into the final report to S@H. So maybe this time it’ll get further.

Honestly, with this and this, what more does one need?

(I’m building one:-)

JOHN

Re: Your LEGO Dream Set?
   In lugnet.ambassadors, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, John Cooper wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, Nelson Yrizarry wrote:

What would be your LEGO Dream Set?

I’ll stick with the answer I posted to a similar thread about a year ago:

Globe model kit (18” - 24” diameter) with stand.

I’ll second this as well. The last survey for S@H that the Ambassadors did included many recommendations for a globe, and I was quite disappointed the suggestion for it didn’t make it into the final report to S@H. So maybe this time it’ll get further.

Honestly, with this and this, what more does one need?

A design incorporating plates in addition to bricks. This would offer:

1) better resolution to the continents

2) a more refined spherical shape

Re: Your LEGO Dream Set?
In lugnet.ambassadors, John Cooper wrote:
   A design incorporating plates in addition to bricks. This would offer:

1) better resolution to the continents

2) a more refined spherical shape

You asked for it, you got it, Toyota!

Corey hasn’t posted instructions for this particular globe, but maybe he could be convinced to do so. Or to create for sale. I’d buy a set of instructions.

Now take a look at this!

Cool, yes? I thought so, and contacted Corey about whether he had created instructions for it (the undertaking, he told me, is HUGE, and so he hasn’t). It is massive, and while it has really cool resolution, it would literary cost $100s if not more to build.

JOHN

Re: Your LEGO Dream Set?
In lugnet.ambassadors, John Cooper wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, John Cooper wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, Nelson Yrizarry wrote:

What would be your LEGO Dream Set?

I’ll stick with the answer I posted to a similar thread about a year ago:

Globe model kit (18” - 24” diameter) with stand.

I’ll second this as well. The last survey for S@H that the Ambassadors did included many recommendations for a globe, and I was quite disappointed the suggestion for it didn’t make it into the final report to S@H. So maybe this time it’ll get further.

Honestly, with this and this, what more does one need?

A design incorporating plates in addition to bricks. This would offer:

1) better resolution to the continents

2) a more refined spherical shape

As well as keeping the price down by using (theoretically) less-expensive plates vs. more-expensive bricks. If it’s huge and costs $500, nobody will buy it, but if it’s a regular-size globe like you see in schools, I can see that going for $150 or less, if you use plates and some internal bracing for stability.

Kelly

Re: Your LEGO Dream Set?
In lugnet.ambassadors, John Cooper wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, John Cooper wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, Nelson Yrizarry wrote:

What would be your LEGO Dream Set?

I’ll stick with the answer I posted to a similar thread about a year ago:

Globe model kit (18” - 24” diameter) with stand.

I’ll second this as well. The last survey for S@H that the Ambassadors did included many recommendations for a globe, and I was quite disappointed the suggestion for it didn’t make it into the final report to S@H. So maybe this time it’ll get further.

Honestly, with this and this, what more does one need?

A design incorporating plates in addition to bricks. This would offer:

1) better resolution to the continents

2) a more refined spherical shape

I really like the shape of this globe.

-Joel

Re: Your LEGO Dream Set?
In lugnet.ambassadors, Joel Hoornbeek wrote:
[...]

I posted plans for a globe like this at http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/happyfrosh/EarthLowellSphere

Use as you see fit.

-dw

Re: Your LEGO Dream Set?
In lugnet.ambassadors, David Winkler wrote:
[...]

Excellent! Now I’m off to Bricklink to put together a wanted list...

I really appreciate your generosity in making your instructions available to the public.

-Joel

Re: Your LEGO Dream Set?
In lugnet.ambassadors, David Winkler wrote:
   I posted plans for a globe like this at http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/happyfrosh/EarthLowellSphere

Very nice, I like the detail and smoothness of the sphere. Excellent work. That’s pretty close to the size of what I’d love to see from LEGO (although theirs could be a bit smaller, to save cost), and it might be nice to have some rough shading so the land masses aren’t all solid green. But those are nitpicks.

Kelly