 Ambassadors / 119
118  |  120
Subject:
LEGOFan Lives, and wants your feedback
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.ambassadors
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2007 22:44:43 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

LEGOFan lives!

Despite a prolonged illness of the server crash variety, the patient is stable. It’s not wearing much at the moment, just a hospital gown that shows off its bare butt... but the heart is pumping, air is flowing, and I can’t stretch this metaphor much further without getting truly disgusting. So I’ll stop.

LEGOFan.org Status Report, April 3, 2007

Earlier this year, LEGOFan experienced a hard drive failure, and all content was lost. You can read the sad postmortem here. Rather than dwell on the past, this is more about the future. Specifically, where to go from here.

Several volunteers have stepped forward and raised their hands to help. We’ll definitely be taking them up on their offer. Anyone else who would like to volunteer, please contact me and I’ll get you on the discussion list.

We’ll be returning to the roots of what LEGOFan should be, and how to get it there. The first step was getting the server rebuilt and new software installed. That’s been done, courtesy of Dan Boger, who installed CentOS (a Linux variant with a built-in LAMP stack). The next step will be to nail down the architecture, then design, and then content.

At BrickFest this year, I ran a LEGOFan roundtable, and got a good idea of where others in the community think the site should be steered, what it should focus on. The response was fairly unanimous about focus and audience: new and potential LEGO enthusiasts of all ages. Help people identify their LEGO-related interests, and quickly get them to that information (either on LEGOFan or by linking to other community resources). A secondary (but still important) audience is existing enthusiasts like AFOLs.

Important considerations for the new site:
  • No Forums (except a Q&A for anonymous users to ask authenticated answerers)
  • Updated and easy to use web links
  • Site should act like an online handbook with descriptive hover text for links
  • “Voice” should be at about an 8th grade level... not jargon-heavy or dense, but easy to read and not condescending
  • Easily navigable
  • Short articles on the hobby with links to more detailed information (such as other web sites, wikis, etc.)
  • Include fun content like minifig maker software, random MOC images, etc.
  • The AFOL comic by Jake and Greg Hyland seemed to be a good starting point for the type of attitude the site should have
  • Provide a place for LEGO Ambassadors to call home
  • This is a good place for exclusive LEGO-generated content, like new product announcements, pictures, etc. (Note on this one: as a site owner of other LEGO resources, my preference is very much for LEGOFan to work WITH the community and not take content or eyeballs away from other sites. So when a new Star Wars announcement is made, it could be made on LEGOFan with links to more extensive info on other specialty sites like FBTB.net.)
  • For those in attendance: what did I miss?
Jake McKee, whose nimble brain spawned the idea of LEGOFan (I think), was in attendance and shared some of his goals and insight into what he’d originally wanted it to be. His words were: “LEGO mashup.” Take all sorts of LEGO-related content generated by fans and bring it together in an interesting method.

One of the main things about the site will be how to create and maintain content. Steve Witt of LEGO has said repeatedly that he’d like to tie in the concept of ILENN (http://www.ilenn.com, another site of mine) to bring other LEGO news into the fold. There was some discussion of appropriate filtering and community self-management, which I think are completely feasible. But before going too far down that road, I’d like to hear other comments about this, since I’m sensing potential for a conflict of interest and I don’t want to hijack LF with my own pet project (long ignored though it is).

I also kind of liked the idea of a “user-generated comic maker” where pre-canned comic elements could be combined to create a small comic strip or page. Contests each week could choose which would be best to add to a permanent archive of graphical comic help topics.

Other ways of keeping content updated would be to empower other LEGO community content owners with the ability to submit their own “front-page” news items. I feel strongly this is a direction we should follow. So if Peeron got a cool new feature, Dan could post directly onto LEGOFan. Or if Rene added some nifty new feature, Lugnet or 1000steine would be able to post directly to LEGOFan’s home page as well. This could be achieved by either a special RSS feed, or admin page with authentication, or both.

Items like the Community Window (and archive), AFOL comic, and so on would definitely come back.

There is a lot of potential for the site, and we barely scratched the surface. So I’ll open it up here for further discussion...

What do YOU think LEGOFan should provide to the community? What features would you think appropriate for the audience(s)?

I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Thank you,
Kelly McKiernan
LEGOFan Guy