 Administrative / General / 9415
Re: It is time to ban JAL.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 23:17:13 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Kirby Warden writes:
Well, if we're going to start banning people from Lugnet for cussing, I'll
be more than happy to do a little research and pull up all the delinquents
that I can find, and it won't be overly difficult to find a couple.

hi,

To be honest, if there is anyone else who used this language, I would be all
for banning them.  Especially if when they were approached on the issue they
tried to dodge responsibility for it and then blamed someone else, and then
stated that the rules of Lugnet as in the TOS just don't apply to them:

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=9410

If there is anyone else that has been so disreguarding of the rules as JAL
has been, I encourage you.  The only other person that I know of that has
been as disruptive to Lugnet was Matt Moulton, although he was a much worse
case indeed.  That doesn't excuse JAL for his actions.

This is not a case of picking on him for one post, he has shown a constant
history of negative activity.  This swearing just crosses the line into
direct TOS breakage, and not a mere annoyance:

I quote the TOS:
"5. (do not) Post or transmit any unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous,
defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane, or indecent information
of any kind..."

its not hard to find the TOS and you have to agree to follow them when you
post, and JAL has already said he doesn't feel obligated to follow them, so
I'm sure we can expect more of this behavior from him.

However, I think that banning for using slang in this instance should be
avoided.  If you must promote the banning of someone, howabout finding
another reason other than that you think someone is annoying and ignorant.

You can call it slang or whatever you want, it breaks the TOS which he
follows at his own whim, and it gives the admins of Lugnet a good reason to
ban a known troublemaker.  I have thought he was annoying and ignorant for
months, but the reason I waited until this incident to request the ban was
because he had given us no real reason to.  I agree with you on that just
finding someone annoying is a terrible reason to ban someone.

Personally, I don't find it very difficult to avoid posting to a thread that
I dislike, although I have read through many.

me too.  I don't post in response to JAL at all anymore, and believe me I
could have said a lot to him these past few weeks.  I stopped myself because
I know it is pointless to attempt a conversation with him.  I honestly tried
a couple times as many of us have.

Just my own opinion.

I do appreciate you posting it.  I just happen to disagree with you on this one.

cheers!
Joel K