 Administrative / General / 8172
Re: My Stance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 19:16:32 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Kingsley writes:
There was one other thing that bothered me durring the discussion however
and that is the fact that it seems some people decided to tell Todd
privately that if Matthew was not banished that they would leave.

One person said that, but I'm not sure how serious they were.  A couple of
other people hinted at it.  Two or three people (I think two) said that they
would set up a killfile.

Because this was done
privately I can't quote word for word but it all sounds like threats to me
and we don't need that here.

I don't think they meant it as a threat.  I certainly didn't see it that way.
It was preceded by "It's your call, but I also want to say that I would be
likely to pack up and leave if he stays and continues to act this way" (this
is from memory -- not a direct quote -- and paraphrased) and I think it was
intended as something to take into consideration -- something to illustrate
the level of frustration.

I still feel that some people need to learn how to
disagree (politely of course).  We are not all going to agree all the time
and trying to force a viewpoint with threats of any kind is not the right
way to go about it.  Sometimes you just have to agree to disagree and be
done with it.

I agree, and I'm no saint on this point, either.  I also like what ScottA
wrote earlier about trying not to say things online that you wouldn't say to
someone in person.  (That advice assumes a generally polite personality to
start with, and probably won't work so well with rude dispositions, but I
think most people are generally polite in real life, as long as their mad
buttons aren't pushed.  :-)

Finally I would like to say that I am not in any way sad to see Matthew go.
I just wanted to try and do my part to ensure that he was banished for the
right reasons.

I am personally sad that someone has been thrown out who put up space models
that I really enjoyed (especially the weaponry sections).  I would still feel
that way even if the commotion had been 10x what it was.

--Todd