 Administrative / General / 8113
Re: Todd! Admin and owner
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 05:52:14 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Joakim Olsson writes:
*Well, maybe I do not have the knowledge to speak/write in the language oher
than my own, but hey, I'm here to learn*

Todd!
I think that the service you provide us/me is more than I/we could ever have
been asking for. I think that the service you provide us/me is more than
I/we could ever have been asking for. It is great and highly valuable.
However:
I think I know your personal thoughts of the"Matthew issue" , but:
What is your professional opinion as an Administrator(and owner) of the
LUGNET community, without personal thoughts?

My professional opinion is I'm concerned that the arguments of the past 36
hours have been more about Matthew and his continued presence or non-presence
and less about the underlying issues he was trying to raise.  Perhaps the
collective mind of the community feels those issues are unimportant, or
perhaps tensions are still too high to warrant that level of discussion, or
perhaps Matthew's concerns simply failed to resonate because of his highly
unconventional approach, in which case there's little hope of them ever being
discussed until someone rearticulates the concerns in a more conventional
manner.  As to the issue of posting privileges, Matthew is clearly a LEGO
fan capable of building and sharing models that others enjoy.  He's not a
m*ndroid, though his approach is the closest to that we've yet seen.  I am
concerned that if his posting privileges are reinstated across-the-board even
with some sort of zero-tolerance rule for misbehavior (whatever that might
mean) some may try to egg him on and some have indicated that they may leave
if he stays.  I hold little hope that any sort of general consensus can be
reached unless Matthew is able to voluntarily come up with some kind of
proposal which others would be willing to accept.  My sense is also that most
people haven't heard the type of apology or the level of contrition or an
admission of wrongdoing from Matthew that they would need to hear before they
could even consider sitting still with Matthew's continued presence.

I have a question for Scott Arthur:  In your mind, has Matthew had ample
opportunity to defend his position and, if so, how well as he defended it?

Is it a "real" community or your personal home?

I'm not sure I fully grok the question, but I suppose I like to think of
myself as curator of LUGNET and, occasionally, uncle to the community.  I
think LUGNET no more a personal home than RTL was.  An analogy might be
someone in the neighborhood with a really big sandbox in their backyard
and people from all over came over whenever they wanted and played in it
a lot and built really neat things in it and have fun conversations in it.
There would have to be some minimal set of rules to keep things civil but
you'd want it to feel comfortable and everyone to be welcome as long as
they didn't throw sand in other peoples eyes or kick over their castles.

--Todd

Re: Todd! Admin and owner
[...]

I let this one sit for a while, maybe should let it sit even longer. I think
we do need to separate the issue of what to do about MM (which seems to be
coming to a consensus, more or less) from the larger issue of whether Lugnet
is exclusionary in a bad way. Mind you, I want it to be exclusionary of those
who are not willing to conform to behavioural (not opinion, not enjoyment of
the hobby, but behavioural) norms (while on LUGNET, what they do elsewhere may
reflect on their reputation for friendliness and trustworthyness but should
have no bearing whatever on whether they are in conformance with the ToS, per
se) and I would be disappointed if it were to waver from that. The ToS are
there for a reason and I want them enforced.

I am not up to restating the exclusionary problem succinctly right now, but I
would suggest that anyone who wants to take a shot at it might want to peruse
the thread in off-topic.debate that *was* trying to address this issue without
focusing specifically on MM. Some points raised there might be worth trying to
restate.

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=6651

I think we do have a small problem in this area but it's not a *large*
problem. At least not yet it isn't. But we know that we've lost some long time
community members (and yes, Paul B, I take your point that you're not a member
of a community just because you share characteristics, you're a member because
you want to be, and further the AFOL community isn't one community, it's
many... but putting that aside...) from Lugnet. That's more measurable than
the people who lurked a bit and decided not to join because they didn't like
what they saw. We have a lot less ways of measuring that, but surely it may
potentially be a worse problem in the long run if it is a large effect.

Like I said in the other thread, elitism, and the notion that some people's
words ought to carry more weight in the contexts where they are known to be
experts, are, IMHO, good things. As long as the elitism, and the
acknowledgement of who to listen to, is meritocracy based and not clique
based, that is.

A question, though, and I am not a social scientist and thus am out of my
depth... Is a certain amount of this sort of sense (that not everyone joins
immediately and stays forever) actually normal and healthy group dynamics?

Does LUGNET as a whole tend to overanalyse itself?

Is THAT question itself symptomatic of overanalysis? :-)

I dunno. To a certain extent, as fascinated as I am about communities, I just
want to build, and talk about what I built and TLC and stuff. Blue train doors
available in bulk. Whodathunkit?

++Lar

Re: Todd! Admin and owner