 Administrative / General / 8113
Re: Todd! Admin and owner
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 05:52:14 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Joakim Olsson writes:
*Well, maybe I do not have the knowledge to speak/write in the language oher
than my own, but hey, I'm here to learn*

Todd!
I think that the service you provide us/me is more than I/we could ever have
been asking for. I think that the service you provide us/me is more than
I/we could ever have been asking for. It is great and highly valuable.
However:
I think I know your personal thoughts of the"Matthew issue" , but:
What is your professional opinion as an Administrator(and owner) of the
LUGNET community, without personal thoughts?

My professional opinion is I'm concerned that the arguments of the past 36
hours have been more about Matthew and his continued presence or non-presence
and less about the underlying issues he was trying to raise.  Perhaps the
collective mind of the community feels those issues are unimportant, or
perhaps tensions are still too high to warrant that level of discussion, or
perhaps Matthew's concerns simply failed to resonate because of his highly
unconventional approach, in which case there's little hope of them ever being
discussed until someone rearticulates the concerns in a more conventional
manner.  As to the issue of posting privileges, Matthew is clearly a LEGO
fan capable of building and sharing models that others enjoy.  He's not a
m*ndroid, though his approach is the closest to that we've yet seen.  I am
concerned that if his posting privileges are reinstated across-the-board even
with some sort of zero-tolerance rule for misbehavior (whatever that might
mean) some may try to egg him on and some have indicated that they may leave
if he stays.  I hold little hope that any sort of general consensus can be
reached unless Matthew is able to voluntarily come up with some kind of
proposal which others would be willing to accept.  My sense is also that most
people haven't heard the type of apology or the level of contrition or an
admission of wrongdoing from Matthew that they would need to hear before they
could even consider sitting still with Matthew's continued presence.

I have a question for Scott Arthur:  In your mind, has Matthew had ample
opportunity to defend his position and, if so, how well as he defended it?

Is it a "real" community or your personal home?

I'm not sure I fully grok the question, but I suppose I like to think of
myself as curator of LUGNET and, occasionally, uncle to the community.  I
think LUGNET no more a personal home than RTL was.  An analogy might be
someone in the neighborhood with a really big sandbox in their backyard
and people from all over came over whenever they wanted and played in it
a lot and built really neat things in it and have fun conversations in it.
There would have to be some minimal set of rules to keep things civil but
you'd want it to feel comfortable and everyone to be welcome as long as
they didn't throw sand in other peoples eyes or kick over their castles.

--Todd