 Administrative / General / 8112
Re: My Stance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 05:18:55 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Selçuk Göre writes:

I think we are not talking about "excluding him from Lugnet", he is already
excluded in some way, and not for his web content.

No, I'm pretty sure we are, since there are people that are still telling Todd
they want to see him banned permanently.  I don't think that's right, and
apparently (based on other people's posts here) I'm not alone in thinking that.

Based on previous examples of this kind of situation, I'm relatively sure Todd
is still considering what to do next, and I do know he takes public opinion
into account.

What we are talking about
is
whether his apologies are sincere or not. And his web content makes me
believing the otherwise.

I'm sorry, but I don't connect one to the other.  Matt has said he's sorry, and
that he wants to participate in Lugnet in a constructive manner; he's also said
that he does believe the things on his website.  I don't think he should have
to renounce those beliefs or hide them to participate in the Lugnet community,
I just think he should play nicely.  Which he's said he's willing to do.

Since I can' read his mind, I'm willing to believe his initial posts were a
mistake on his part, and that he will try to follow Lugnet conventions- until
he proves otherwise by his own actions here on Lugnet.

Actually, considering his very nice background, I'm not sure I will be
forgiving him even if he put them down. Could I believe that you are not
taking those personally? I just trying to clear myself about my point, nothing
more. I feel a bit bittering in your postings (not exactly in this one). I
wish
I was wrong.

Uh.  I'll be honest, I'm not sure what you mean here.

I don't take any of the things Matt said on an individual basis personally, no.
I don't take personally people saying they don't think Matt should be allowed a
second chance, either.

I don't feel bitter towards any party in this whole affair, really.  I will
admit a certain amount of disbelief at the irony of the situation, though.
Matt comes along and does something wrong in a (very misguided) attempt to show
up the online LEGO community as being exclusionary towards newcomers, or people
who don't feel exactly the way the majority does about certain issues- and at
first I thought he was very wrong.  Now here we are, though, with his apology
for his previous actions, and his promise to restrain himself in the future,
and people are arguing that he should not be allowed back onto Lugnet because
he has things on his website they find offensive- and I'm no longer sure how
wrong he was.

eric