 Administrative / General / 6276
Re: Just look what ratings did to Slashdot!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 03:07:25 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
I have a major problem with their concept of karma, which is why LUGNET's
article ratings system doesn't give higher precedence to any particular
posters.

Agreed; it's a bad idea -- ref. especially the "karma whore" phenomenon.
Instead of actually thinking about something, people are very quick to try
to post something that _looks_ insightful to the moderators, for the sole
purpose of inflating their score.

This is why anyone (any member, that is) can rate anyone else's article at
LUGNET.  I hate the idea of moderation points -- it's supposed to make things
more fair, but I think it makes things less fair.

Anyone at /. is eligible to become a moderator -- it's not an elite
hand-picked group. Basically, it just rotates, so not everyone is a
moderator all of the time. This is largely just to spread out the work load,
and I know that works for me -- if I always had moderation privs, I'd
probably never use them. Since I do get them every now and then, I feel like
I'm contributing to my civic duty and try to use the points I have
responsibly.

Analogy: I wouldn't be too annoyed to be called for jury duty every now and
then. But if I could just go serve on a jury whenever I wanted, I probably
would never do it. Actually, that's a good analogy, 'cause it leads into the
abuse thing. If the workload is shared, one single person can't do much
damage. Just think what a scary bunch of power-freak wackos those volunteer
jurors must be. *grin*

Wow, I usually read Slashdot at a threshold of 3 or 4, so I haven't noticed
that.  Half, really?  Yikes.  (I pick 3 or 4 to limit the number of articles,

I'd say that was an exaggeration. Furthermore, such off-topic debates are
usually marked as such. (Ironically demonstrating that the moderation system
*does* work.)

Quotes 'R' Us                     --->               http://quotes-r-us.org/
Boston University Linux             --->                http://linux.bu.edu/