 Administrative / General / 6265
6264  |  6266
Subject:
Just look what ratings did to Slashdot!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 02:14:28 GMT

While I'm not particularly interested in directly weighing in on the debate
raging over Lugnet's rating system, I will take the time to say this:

Look carefully at how rating (they call it Moderation) has affected the
Slashdot community. (http://www.slashdot.org).

If I get any of these details wrong, please feel free to correct me:

They have a system in place where more senior/active users are assigned a
given number of points to moderate forum posts up or down, as well as bestow
adjectives like "Interesting" or "Insightful" to the posts each day.

Users can then set a Threshold to filter out posts that are under a certain
rating level.  This can, in some cases, be a good thing (keeps you from having
to read messages from all the trolls about Natalie Portman and hot grits).

Users who's posts often get high ratings earn Karma, which allows their new
posts to automaticly have a higher rating.

The problem comes in when the moderators use their moderation points to
further their personal agendas, effectively acting as censors against those
who share views they do not agree with (ie. Anyone saying that a given
Microsoft technology is superior to a Linux technology.)

This often causes a quater to a half of the discussion thread to devolve into
an argument as to why certain posts did or did not receive a higher rating.

Censorship == A Very, Very Bad Thing

While Lugnet does not (yet) have this type of filter in place, one could only
imagine that if the ratings were kept it would just be a matter of time before
that gets added as a feature, or people begin to (if they don't already) use
the ratings to filter in their heads, without giving much thought to it (it
would just become habit).

Just my thoughts,

Chris Busse
http://www.bussetech.com