 Administrative / General / 6266
Re: Opinions wanted: article rating harmful? (was: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 02:26:33 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hey Todd,

I've been avoiding a direct and complete opinion about the rating system till
now, mainly because I wasn't sure of my stand on it. But now I know where I
stand... here're my answers:

The first, original purpose for having ratings was to be able to lay the
foundation for the later creation of variety of "what's hot" or "top X of
group Y" listings for quick browsing -- something akin to the current
Spotlight pages, only fully automated, instantly updating, and much more
representative of collective opinion.

This is a good idea and I'll be glad to ee it implemented.

The second original purpose was to
lay the foundation for so-called "collaborative filtering" possibilities --
the server learns (could learn) what types of things you prefer to read,
and gives (could give) higher priority to you personally for messages rated
higher by people with similar interests.

This, IMO, would work if (and only if) the rating were *not* based on numeric
rating, because the numbers can be perceived in oh-so-many ways. It would work
well, IMO, if there was a rating system based on written-out choices, for
example:
-this post is in the wrong NG (ie, off-topic)
-this post is OK, but not very useful
-this post is very informative
-this post features great MOCs/web sites/[etc]

You get the picture.

This could be very useful once (if?) the RSS/channels are implemented. I could
say, for example, that I want to see informative posts only; while Jeff (just
throwing around names) will ask to see MOC posts as well as informative ones;
and Eric will want to see all posts regardless... that kind of thing.

These two main purposes become
increasingly relevant as message traffic increases.

Right; but pure numbers aren't really helping. Categorizing posts
by "usefulness" is downright inappropriate and unhelpful. Because what's
useful and important to someone (e.g. info about a cool new mindstorms set
that is sighted in stores), will be useless to me and vice versa.

It was never a purpose of the ratings system to make anyone ever feel bad
or unwanted or unwelcome.  It's core purpose is simply to highlight "neat or
noteworthy stuff"

That's why I think that written-out statements are more useful than numbers.
Like Jeremy and others mentioned, a numeric scoring without a reason does not
help the person posting to realize what he/she has done wrong (or done
excellently well).

but not to downgrade "un-neat or un-noteworthy stuff" or
regular "fluff" (which there's nothing wrong with).

Right! "Fluff" is one of the things I like in lugnet, we are here day-in and
day-out; and there aren't Brad Justus posts every day, or MTT sightings every
week. Lugnet contains of a whole lot of fluff, and I personally like to read
it-- and see what's happening every day, regardless if it's highly "useful".

Going with a scale 0 to 100, in retrospect, hasn't been any
better from an overall morale point of view than if a scale -100 to +100 had
been used.

Sorrowfully enough, no. :-(
Numbers are numbers, no matter what they are.

1.  How would you feel (better or worse) if the numeric values of the ratings
were not displayed to you unless you specifically requested (via some simple
setting) that they be displayed to you?

Neither better nor worse.

2.  How would you feel (better or worse) if the numeric values of the ratings
were not displayed ever to anyone but collected and used by the server only
for internal calculations, hotlist generation, and personal recommendations
to you?

Better. I would like that.

3.  How would you feel (better or worse) if the ratings were not even
collected and collated in the first place?  (i.e. the destruction of the
feature altogether)

Neither better nor worse. I think it is a good idea but it needs to be re-
thought.

4.  Have you ever felt victimized by the rating system?  Have you posted
something which has obtained a low rating and felt uncomfortable or unhappy
about yourself or about LUGNET because of the low rating?  How often?

Yes, to some extent. Not very often, though.

5.  Have you ever felt victimized indirectly by seeing someone else's post
get a high rating?  How often?

I can't recall such a situation.

6.  Do you feel that the article rating system makes it easier for you or
harder for you to share your ideas?  And does this bother you?

Neither, and no.

7.  How does your initial reaction to the announcement of the article rating
system compare to your current opinion of it?

Originally, I thought it was a great idea. After seeing it in action, I still
think it's a good idea; but it has to be reworked.

8.  Do you feel that it is too early, too late, or the right time to address
these issues?

Right time. Perhaps a tad too late, but it doesn't matter.

9.  What other areas (besides news articles) can you imagine that a
collaborative ratings system would be most helpful to you?
LEGO sets?

Yes; but again, not pure numerical value.

Websites?  Individual web pages?

No way. Much, MUCH more potential for insults and bad feelings all around.

-Shiri