 Administrative / General / 6274
Re: Opinions wanted: article rating harmful? (was: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 03:00:06 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Shiri Dori writes:
Right; but pure numbers aren't really helping. Categorizing posts
by "usefulness" is downright inappropriate and unhelpful. Because what's
useful and important to someone (e.g. info about a cool new mindstorms set
that is sighted in stores), will be useless to me and vice versa.

That's what the averaging effect is for -- to smooth that out.  If the system
also could learn what you liked, you might find that helpful.  (That's a long
way down the road, though.)

[...]
Right! "Fluff" is one of the things I like in lugnet, we are here day-in and
day-out; and there aren't Brad Justus posts every day, or MTT sightings every
week. Lugnet contains of a whole lot of fluff, and I personally like to read
it-- and see what's happening every day, regardless if it's highly "useful".

Will you still feel that way when there are 4x the number of messages daily?
A year and a half ago, there were only 80-100 messages a day (on average).
Now there are 350-400 a day (on average).  At some point, the fluff becomes
too much.  And you may already have an unusually high liking or tolerance for
that sort of thing.  Not everyone out there so much time to read everything.

Not trying to sound like a contrarian, just pointing out another POV.

--Todd