 Administrative / General / 6277
Re: Opinions wanted: article rating harmful? (was: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 03:17:19 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
Right; but pure numbers aren't really helping. Categorizing posts
by "usefulness" is downright inappropriate and unhelpful. Because what's
That's what the averaging effect is for -- to smooth that out.  If the system
also could learn what you liked, you might find that helpful.  (That's a long
way down the road, though.)

Smoothing what out, though? How does the system distinguish between "0: I
like posts about robots, but not in .castle" and "0: not interesting to me",
or "60: kinda funny if you're in the right mood" and "60: contains some
useful information but could be more complete"?

Also, I'm _very_ skeptical of the "match what you like" concept. It sounds
neat in practice, but I've never seen it implemented well.
homr/ringo/Firefly/bignote/launch/whateverthey'recallingthemselvestoday did
an ok job, but you'd have to do some serious language parsing/comprehension
stuff to make it work with news posts, even in such a narrow subject as
Lego.

Quotes 'R' Us                     --->               http://quotes-r-us.org/
Boston University Linux             --->                http://linux.bu.edu/