 Administrative / General / 6231
Re: Opinions wanted: article rating harmful? (was: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 19:26:45 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Some miscellaneous unordered thoughts:

- I would be inclined to say that the rating system is definitely
harmfull. I have not seen anyone say "wow, this rating system just
helped me read through 2 weeks of posts and catch up on all the
important stuff", but we have seen several people express bitterness
about it.

- without a uniform way of applying ratings, I don't see how usefull it
will be. One example I came up with is suppose a bunch of people felt
that any post in lugnet.off-topic.humor should be rated 0-20 because
overall they are irrelevant, and they don't want them to show up in
general searches. On the other hand, another group of people rate
messages based heavily on the appropriateness of the message to the
group it's in (figuring that the search will let them adjust the weight
of all messages in a group), rate the funniest humor posts highly.

- I haven't paid too much attention to the ratings, but just looked over
the ratings of my posts. I didn't see any real problems.

- I tend to pay more attention to the response my messages gain. Of
course there is one area where this frustrates me. There has been
discussion going on about the T&C for a few months or so now. Several
times it has seemed that we were working towards some usefull goal, and
then all of a sudden a pall of silence drifts over the discussion. As a
result, it doesn't feel like anything has been accomplished. People are
still posting auctions in wrong places and people are still getting
blasted for posting a non-auction market post to a non-market group.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com