 Administrative / General / 6230
Re: Opinions wanted: article rating harmful? (was: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 19:21:07 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi Todd,

My personal feedback.  I think the ratings system has caused me to post less,
if that's a concern or not.  I haven't felt belittled or berated, but I tend
to think nobody reads my posts when I see it rated by less than 3 people and
it rated poorly.  If a hundred people rated my post, even if it was voted
down, I feel like my voice has been heard.  Even though I know it's not true,
but the rating gives you the impression that "nobody read this, nobody
cares."

Conversely, I completely ignore the ratings on other people's posts.  I'm
after info on certain topics.  There's not enough people rating to make it
seem worth looking at.

Specific personal questions:

1.  How would you feel (better or worse) if the numeric values of the ratings
were not displayed to you unless you specifically requested (via some simple
setting) that they be displayed to you?

Even if my ratings were hidden, I still would want to see what it said.
Remember, ratings and responses are the only gauge Lugnet gives for people
reading your posts.  I suppose I would constantly check my own and never check
anyone elses.

2.  How would you feel (better or worse) if the numeric values of the ratings
were not displayed ever to anyone but collected and used by the server only
for internal calculations, hotlist generation, and personal recommendations
to you?

I would like that better.  I just don't know if what YOU think I like, is
equal to what I think I like.  When you tell me, "this is what you like," I'll
probably tell you, "No it isn't."  My interests usually don't line up with the
majority opinion.

3.  How would you feel (better or worse) if the ratings were not even
collected and collated in the first place?  (i.e. the destruction of the
feature altogether)

I'd like that better still.

4.  Have you ever felt victimized by the rating system?  Have you posted
something which has obtained a low rating and felt uncomfortable or unhappy
about yourself or about LUGNET because of the low rating?  How often?

I'd like to believe that very few things make me feel victimized, Oprah. :O)
My life doesn't ride on what 3 or 4 Lugnet members think about my post.  I
post less than I did before the ratings because it gives me the impression
that people aren't reading what I'm posting.

5.  Have you ever felt victimized indirectly by seeing someone else's post
get a high rating?  How often?

Never victimized.
6.  Do you feel that the article rating system makes it easier for you or
harder for you to share your ideas?  And does this bother you?

Harder.  I just feel less inclined to share.

7.  How does your initial reaction to the announcement of the article rating
system compare to your current opinion of it?

about the same.

8.  Do you feel that it is too early, too late, or the right time to address
these issues?

If I saw an increase in ratings, I'd say too early.  But I don't think most
people rate them and it doesn't look like that's on the increase.  It would
make a difference if either of the above were true.  (Being too early, I mean)

9.  What other areas (besides news articles) can you imagine that a
collaborative ratings system would be most helpful to you?  LEGO sets?
Websites?  Individual web pages?  etc...

I like when sets are rated, it gives me an idea on whether I would like it,
but that's only if they tell me why they like or dislike it.  A numeric system
tells me zero.   I think you have that covered in one of the groups.  I just
wish it had more participation.

Thanks for your time,
--Todd

[followups to .admin.general]