 Administrative / General / 6229
6228  |  6230
Subject:
Did I read that yet?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 19:14:25 GMT

Todd,

I've heard some requests for this before, and I'd like to revisit it.  Can we
get some sort of flag to show whether we've read a message or not?  When I go
to another computer, flush out my cache, switch from Netscape to IE, etc, I
can't tell if I've read a message or not.  My current system is to use the
visited link colors in my browser to tell, but it only works for one browser.
This is very annoying when there is a 100+ message thread and I'm coming back
to read the new messages that were posted while I was driving home.

Since the system's now storing my rating for each article, would it be that
much more work to add a "read it" flag?  I'm not sure how this could be
implemented though (that's your expertise).  The only way I can think of is by
reading an ID cookie from my browser each time I go to a new message and
setting the appropriate flag for next time that I visit.  It seems like this is
already being done somehow since the system knows if I've voted or not.

The next logical step is to have "unread message" integrated with the searches,
but I wouldn't expect to see that for a long while.

Is this the wrong time or just something that hasn't been(or won't be) done.

Ben Roller