 Administrative / General / 13775
Re: Message indexing awry?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:40:47 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Gereon Stein wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Ross Crawford wrote:
There appears to be something dicky happening with some message indexing.

Example 1: http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=13211 should be attached to
this post: http://news.lugnet.com/build/mecha/?n=13162

Example 2: (in the same thread): http://news.lugnet.com/fun/?n=1423 should be a
reply to: http://news.lugnet.com/storage/?n=1553 but appears beside it in the
tree display.

Example 3: http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=13207 should be a reply to:
http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=3007

There may be others, finding them is a bit hit n miss. One common thing I
noticed in those 3 cases is that the message and it's reply are in different
groups, and I'm wondering if messages have been moved but indexes not updated
correctly or something like that?

I couldn't say that messages have been moved, however if messages are set
followup-to another group, then we obviously have a chance of hitting this
issue.

I have yet to find a regularity with this behavior, since we have quite a large
number of such followup-to cases, and most of them seem to work just fine. Then
again, identifying message threads is not just the easiest thing under the sun,
so eventually it may be just the hit'n'miss you mentioned, although the other
way 'round...

Thanks for looking into this Gereon. I'm wondering whether this is a problem
with the NNTP server or a problem with extra meta-data stored specifically for
the web interface?

Example 4: (may not be related): In this post:
http://news.lugnet.com/build/mecha/?n=13160 the links to other posts all get 404
errors. The raw message shows they all have <url=...> which seems a bit strange.

Well that's an easy one: The links were just malformatted on message creation.
If you look at the message source (or if your browser displays the link in the
status line) you'll see the difference. The links in that message simply cannot
work. If you need to follow the links, you can copy-paste the links and remove
everything before the second "http".

Yeah I noticed the raw message seemed incorrect, but I couldn't remember seeing
the problem when I originally read the message. Maybe I just never clicked the
links the first time :)

ROSCO