 Administrative / General / 11342
  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

Hey, WOW! A new LUGNET site! :> This is GREAT. I like the one that is hear but a change can be good! Out of curiosity, what brought upon these interesting thoughts of changing the site? I design websites often, well actually almost everyday I am (...) (20 years ago, 20-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) Well, new homepage, anyway. (...) (1) All the talk last week about WorldLUG and LEGOFan. (2) Abner Finley reminded me at BrickFest PDX. (...) Yes, definitely. Suzanne will alsohave constructive comments to make as things get closer. --Todd (20 years ago, 20-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) Do you have the link to Suzanne's concept new homepage handy? -Tim (20 years ago, 20-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) (URL) --Todd (20 years ago, 20-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general, FTX) !

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) I know my opinion doesn't count for much but I have to say I really like the layout and feel of this. It’s simple, yet it gets the job done. With some slight updating to fit all of the new great sites out there I believe this would work well. (...) (20 years ago, 20-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general, FTX)

  No logo fest, please. (was: New homepage for LUGNET)

What I like best about Suzanne's design over some of the other proposed here, is the absence of a visual logo fest. Hower great looking each (community) logo can be, twenty graphically unrelated logo's on one page make an incoherent design and are (...) (20 years ago, 20-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) Looks sharp! I would be quite pleased with this design, especially if "Top Stories" were listed at the bottom of the page. That's the feature I use most. A minor tweak I would make would be to list the links at the beginning of each bullet (...) (20 years ago, 20-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) Echoing the above, to me the current design of Lugnet is very LSI friendly and logically laid out. In my opinion this makes Lugnet one of the great sites (similar to Yahoo and Google) and I'm by no means unique in my opinion. Lugnet's greatest (...) (20 years ago, 20-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) You are right. The current LUGNET site is very LSI friendly. I enjoy coming to this website not just because of its content but also because I don't have to wait five minutes for a page to load unlike the LEGO site. (...) Again you are right. (...) (20 years ago, 20-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

"Andrew Allan" <aallan@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message news:HtDvsD.qBG@lugnet.com... (...) Not in my book... JavaScript seems to cause problems in the browsers I tend to use (somewhat old versions of Netscape and MSIE - perhaps I should upgrade, (...) (20 years ago, 20-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) Which could very easily be changed to send the correct Location redirect header, so that it would be completely invisible to the user... --Bram (20 years ago, 20-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general)

  Re: No logo fest, please. (was: New homepage for LUGNET)

(...) I agree. This is one of the problems with the "busy"-ness that you mentioned in Jeff's suggestion: (URL) thing I really like from Jeff's suggested graphic is the use of 1x6 bricks as link buttons. I know, this is also used elsewhere, e.g.: (...) (20 years ago, 20-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: No logo fest, please. (was: New homepage for LUGNET)

(...) Based on experience, it'd be nice if the words could be made out of actual displayed on top of the brick image (which could be made in multiple parts to accomplish this easier), both to avoid contributing to the Pictures of Text plague and (...) (20 years ago, 20-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) I agree with Frank here 100%. Not everybody has Javascript enabled, and if they have to fool around with their browser settings every time they want to visit, that'll drive people away if nothing will. Showers are great places for thinking. (...) (20 years ago, 20-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) I was thinking more like 50KB or less. The current homepage weighs in at 44.2KB, of which 27.7KB of this is images. It's pretty easy to keep small images down to 1 or 2 KB each (or even less) if care is taken. Many of the LUGNET toolbar icons (...) (20 years ago, 21-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) Excellent. I just did a homepage image count and found six, including the BrickFest logo. If we were to have button links for a bunch of major sites, this could get heavy fast. That's why I aimed at 100KB - but the lower the better. (...) (...) (20 years ago, 21-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) You do realise there's nothing *natural* about that? Not even half the worlds population read text in the direction we happen to be using. Also, with the way most advertisements show up on pages, many people tend to ignore both the left and (...) (20 years ago, 21-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) Correct - but all readers of English go left to right. Those that read Hebrew may go right to left, but they won't be doing that here (and if they are it serves them right to be confused). (...) Thanks for posting those. I'll look into it. (...) (20 years ago, 21-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) Only Hebrew reads right-to-left? Huh! Last time I checked, Arabic (which is somewhat common in the world?), is also written right-to-left. And if Lugnet wants to be international, it should take that into consideration along with other (...) (20 years ago, 21-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) I just picked Hebrew as an example. :) While I agree that we should be aiming for international compliance, I think there's only so far that we can go. It would not be a good thing to just align everything down the centre of the page to make (...) (20 years ago, 21-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) As most webpages have the navigation/menu on the left hand side, there's where I expect to find it if I need it. Having it turn on and off causes the main text to move around on the page, unless a blank space is reserved (which, in itself, is (...) (20 years ago, 24-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general)