 Administrative / General / 11419
Re: New homepage for LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:46:54 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Anders Isaksson wrote:
   Mike Thorn wrote:

We all probably confirm this ourselves. When we visit a new website, typically the first place we look is the left side or the masthead. The natural left-to-right motion takes our eye then to the right side of the page, then farther down.

You do realise there’s nothing *natural* about that? Not even half the worlds population read text in the direction we happen to be using.

Correct - but all readers of English go left to right. Those that read Hebrew may go right to left, but they won’t be doing that here (and if they are it serves them right to be confused).

   Jacob Nielsens studies, http://www.useit.com is quite a good read about usability of web pages.

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20000514.html Eyetracking Study of Web Readers http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9710a.html How Users Read On The Web

Thanks for posting those. I’ll look into it.

-Mike