 Administrative / General / 11428
Re: New homepage for LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 2004 18:48:18 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Thorn wrote:
   Correct - but all readers of English go left to right. Those that read Hebrew may go right to left, but they won’t be doing that here (and if they are it serves them right to be confused).

Only Hebrew reads right-to-left? Huh! Last time I checked, Arabic (which is somewhat common in the world?), is also written right-to-left. And if Lugnet wants to be international, it should take that into consideration along with other character set postings, and non-text navigations.

I just picked Hebrew as an example. :)

While I agree that we should be aiming for international compliance, I think there’s only so far that we can go. It would not be a good thing to just align everything down the centre of the page to make sure it works evenly from right or left.

A part of me also says...how many Hebrew or Arabic readers are there here? Is it that much of an issue?

I don’t mean to downplay your very valid points here, I’m just asking.

-Mike