 Znap / 197
Re: ZNAP survey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.znap
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 20:22:33 GMT

In lugnet.znap, Bill Bourn writes:

  Here is a sort of informal survey (an exit poll if you will :-)
concerning ZNAP sets:

  Who, if anyone, can still generate enthusiasm for the ZNAP line?

I can't generate too much, since I have a much as I can use - 65+ black
racers, and at least 1, most times 2+, every other Znap set available. But
the line, although expired, still has not been fully explored. There are
always new uses for any LEGO element. It just takes the right need.

  What disposition of their materials do you recommend to the current
owners of ZNAP sets?

I may have as many as I need, but I'll take any anyone else wants to donate ;-)

  Is it safe to say that the spate of large size ZNAP sets has made
the boxes and instruction books valueless?

Not to the extent you imply. There are many people who haven't been exposed
to their usage (difficult as that is to believe), and until everyone has a
chance to see their potential, it a'int over.

  Do you expect the future value of a complete ZNAP set to be
"significant?"

Who can say? Ask again in 5, 10, 15 or 20 years. Sets that are old always
have value to the collector.

  Would a complete set be worth more than the sum of its parts?
(since it doesn't look like that is the case today)

Since the sets never listed the number of pieces on the outside, only
unopened sets could reasonably qualify as 'complete' (unless several people
made inventories which could be cross-referenced to determine what is in
which set).

  While not valued zero, the non-technic parts from those same sets
seem to be largely snubbed by our other Lego community. Is this
justified?

The 'non-Technic' parts, by my definition, include only a couple of pieces.
If you mean the Znap specific parts (as your 'non-Technic parts'), I think
it's still too early to tell.

  Do you see the possibility of some future "regular" Lego elements
that would increase the utility of the current ZNAP elements?

Anything is possible.

  Do you think that some ingenious constructor will eventually show
us better ways to integrate ZNAP with the current Lego elements?

I've been using them for two years now, and am constantly finding new ways
to integrate them. Have you stopped looking for ways to integrate Duplo?

  What is your general prognosis for ZNAP elements and/or sets?

Too early to tell. I remember similar comments and feelings about Fabuland...

  I'm sure there are more questions, just answer the ones you think
of along with those above.

Thanks.
Bill Bourn

Znap was, IMHO, cut off too soon to have been developed to its potential by
LEGO. There are several logical expansions or extentions to what currently
exists which would make the system easier to integrate. I suggest everyone
take the time to explore this system for its potential. We could all benefit
from the discoveries thus made.

Wayne