 Year / 2004 / 20
19  |  21
Subject:
Thorough set review: 4408 Animals
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2004, lugnet.town, lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.reviews
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 04:52:41 GMT

For a basic set, this one has odd amounts of pieces such as 1 orange 1x1 brick,
but the amounts are chosen to build the main Zoo model. Acccents include 2 1x2
lime bricks and 1 2x4 plate in the green tree (new brown trunk) which the orange
black and yellow giraffe munches on. The orange 1x1 brick is for the orange head
on the 3-wide red rhino. The zoo also builds a monkey, an elephant, and a small
pretend building with brick lettering ZOO sign. Oh, and a green tractor (Lar
take note.)

Beyond the page 8-9 main zoo spread of the 54-page idea/instruction booklet, you
have to tear down zoo animals to make the farm, race cars, amphibian, avian,
circus or warthog-steams-to-Antarctica stuff. The Circus page is kind of neat in
its 3-wide and 4-wide brick people, one of which looks Fightin' Irish. The lion
looks scared.

As for the new brown color, the assortment is a small but balanced start, with
at least one 1x1, 1x2, 2x2, 2x4, 1x2 plate, 1x4 plate, and some small slopes
inverse and upright. It also gives you 9 new gray 1x2 bricks, 1 2x2 brick, a
4x12 superbrick, 2x6 plate, and some slopes and wheel bricks. The new dark gray
is 2x3 plates, 1x2 plates, a 1x4 and a 2x4 plate, and 1x2 inverse slopes and 1x1
eyeball bricks.

Orange, yellow, and new dark gray eyeball bricks. Eyeball maize.

Price point: $10 for 200 pieces is in line with other Creator sets, but its
contents remind me of 4288 which was twice the value.  A tightly designed little
set, but compared to the buckets or 4400 tub the price point begs the AFOL to
back off, while a parent might snag it for the strong production values.

No 2004 catalog yet.

The back of the booklet pictures more 2004 Creator sets: 4406 Buildings (in
stores now), 4407 which looks to be "construction and seaport" (next size up),
and a tiny 4410 perhaps "steam engine junction". And the front of this booklet
shows the zoo but the tractor has exploded. No wonder the animals are wide-eyed.

-Erik