 Year / 2001 / 789
Re: The Toy Book's report on LEGO 2001 (U.S.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.duplo, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 09:02:12 GMT

In lugnet.year.2001, Paul Gyugyi writes:
In lugnet.year.2001, Eric Brok writes:
So, what does 'Zooters' mean? Is it a licensed theme, known in the US?

Eric

Not a licensed theme that I know of.  However, their PR department
could use a bit of leg work (from a google search for "zooters",
from some history site that I forgot to write down).  Seeing as
the zoot-suit gangsta rap fad just came and went, this should have
been hard to overlook:

===begin quote===
     Meanwhile, a police official had written a report claiming that
violent crime was a Mexican racial characteristic. The white public was
especially apprehensive about so-called zooters, young men who wore
distinctive outfits with broad-brimmed hats, very long coats, and tightly
pegged pants -- zoot suits.
     The report helped spark six days of rioting in June 1943. Gangs made
up mainly of sailors beat up all the zooters and suspected zooters they
could find. The rioting stopped only when the Navy declared the city of Los
Angeles off limits.
     Americans were dying in a war against racists, but racism remained
strong in America.
===end quote===

-gyug

That's what I was referring to in my exclamation:
"Are they serious? ...Zooters?!" and "I don't know if I even believe this..."

I didn't want to come right out and say it. I'm no history expert. But I figured
some people would know what I was getting at.

sigh. Yet another poor research job by TLC. Slizers (sleezers) is still one of
my favorites).

The zoot clothing itself shouldn't be thought of as negative. In fact, Swing
dance's recent rise in popularity brought back the zoot suit. It's been hot for
vintage clothing sellers (as I've heard). Pretty festive attire. But it does
represent a distinct part of our cultural history, at least here in Boston.
(Malcom X in Roxbury)

-Suz.