 Year / 2001 / 774
773  |  775
Subject:
The Toy Book's report on LEGO 2001 (U.S.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.duplo, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 09:18:27 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I really don't know what's news here anymore, but after doing some LUGNET
searches, I didn't see any sign of some unusual words in this report I have.

This is from the toy retailer industry magazine, "The Toy Book," which reports
on toy companies, new toys, trends, etc. From its Feb issue which I've had for a
week or two (though only tonight did I read it enough to catch the bizarre
words).

First I should say, I don't normally take this publication too seriously
regarding new product news -- esp around Toy Fair time. Things get written
quickly by people who don't know a lot about the lines they're covering.
Regarding LEGO product reporting, I'd typically give them about an 80 percent
accuracy score.

So, for what it's worth, here's some of their news about 2001 products:
(skip to the end for the bizarre.)
------------------------
No MSRPs, no set numbers. Totally summarizing here. And I'm skipping over
product lines I know you know about. No "girl" products (DUPLO Dolls, Belville,
Scala) mentioned because this is a U.S. publication.
-------------------------
170 new products. largest intro in TLC history. Bionicle leads it.

LEGO Creator sets see intro of "nearly 90 toys for 2001."

4 new LEGO Soccer sets:
"Lights" set. crew in stadium can turn on the lights. (do they turn on?)
"Team Transport" set including a practice field.
"Women's Team"
"Expansion set" for the Championship Challenge set.

Included in licenced sets list: "the Star Wars line is also expanding."
(probably what has already come out)

the 2 new LEGO Studios sets:
"Explosion Studio" and "Backdrop Studio"
(already in TRU, I believe)

In the new LEGO Dinosaurs line:
"Young Ankylosaurus" 37pcs
"Young Iguanodon" 23 pcs
"Young Brachiosaurus" 31 pcs
"Young Dimetrodon" 20 pcs
"Brachiosaurus" 25 pcs
"Tyrannosaurus Rex" 23 pcs
"Mosasaurus" 26 pcs
"Styracosaurus" 19 pcs
(that's a few more than I saw reported for AU/NZ)

the new LEGO series, Jack Stone, lists 11 set names.
(I assume those are common knowledge)

7 new LEGO Baby products.
(pictured is "Looper," which appears, to me, to be the same as the old
caterpillar but in new color scheme)
(also listed is "Musical Apple" which sounds to me like the existing one)
(etc...)

LEGO DUPLO adds 29 new sets.

5 character / vehicle products based on licensed "Bob the Builder" TV show.
6 new Winnie the Pooh sets:
"Acorn Adventure with Piglet"
"Eeyore and the Little Raincloud"
"Bouncing with Tigger"
"Pooh and the Honeybees"
"Winnie the Pooh Book & Product"
"Happy Birthday" (picture shows set on a new funky pre-formed baseplate)

9 or more Town-like DUPLO sets.
(names are listed, but I think they're already online anyway)

A new "MyBot Accessory Pack." Elements can form a boat model and include 2 new
"smart" bricks for added functionality. (see this at lego.com)
and "Speedster Pullback" set (a pull back and go)

-------------------
OK, now here's the strange stuff.
I don't know if I even believe this...
-------------------
(so strange, I must quote it all)
"There are three new products in the 'DUPLO Zooters' line as well. Horn-like
antlers and funny feet set 'Goozle' apart from the rest. 'Tez' is wacky and wild
in shades of red, pink, and purple. With soft eyes and bright yellow elements,
'Wazo' lets youngsters decide how to fix and match the strange pieces any way to
create their own crazy version of this character."
(end)

Are they serious? ...Zooters?!
And they mention it like it's not even a new line. I can imagine such a group of
products and what they're like, but uh, can anyone here verify this? Have I just
been living in a cave?  (?)

BTW, yes, it really does read, "fix and match.." (not mix and match).

-Suz