 Year / 2001 / 551
Re: Lego cutting plates in Catalogue Dioramas (Was and part of it still is Re: More on the decline of LEGO quality... [long])
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.town
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 23:55:15 GMT

In lugnet.year.2001, Tim Culberson writes:

Nicholas Allan wrote:

Tim has an important point here that perhaps Lego is shooting itself in the
foot by not demonstrating the wonderful scenes that can be made.  I also
really like this diorama here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/1985/c85eu/c85eu-17.html.  This
demonstrates how you can set up your own town quite easily and also shows
how all the sets are related.  The child also helps add a sense of scale as
well.

Basically they only used available sets (especially when it comes to
buildings/structures, but I believe adding minifigs and sometimes misc
vehicles etc. was not uncommon.
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/1990/c90ca/c90ca-13.html

Trees and plates are of course added, minifigs are added, and I think
the little blue car in the lower left is probably added.
That little blue car is actually the blue car from the service tower set.
Look closely at it and you will see the exact same one in the picture at the
base of the car lift.

Kyle Henneberque