 Year / 2001 / 534
Re: More on the decline of LEGO quality.... [long]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2001
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 04:36:25 GMT

Nicholas Fezie wrote:

I tend to agree with you for the most part but I do have some complaints.
The 2001 catalog has some nice scenes.

Okay, fair enough, I agree that the 2001 catalog has some pretty effects
and pictures and stuff, but IMHO, they're still nothing compared to much
of the old ones....I find the "cut and paste" nature of the pictures
kind of cheap looking....read on....

Take for example the Alpha Team, the heir to the town throne (or so it seems):
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/2001/c01am-100dpi/c01am-15.html

Okay, so maybe for some people, maybe in particular todays kids this
super action-packed type thing IS more appealing than the nature of the
older catalogs that I prefer where different types of "scenes" are
created....see in this above mentioned link, each set does seem to be
"doing" something, but to me they certainly don't appear tied together
in terms of their various actions (uh....sorry if that doesn't make
sense :)

Or how about Life on Mars with their nice backdrop and a scene full o' action:
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/2001/c01am-100dpi/c01am-10.html
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/2001/c01am-100dpi/c01am-11.html

Again.....I do agree that the backdrop _is_ nice and there _is_ lots of
action, but to ME this scene:
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/1979/c79us/c79us-13.html
...is much more appealing because instead of every vehicle and
spacecraft "swooshing" around the page it looks more like these
space-dudes are just going about their daily business doing whatever it
is space-dudes do. (I had to fight myself not to use the phrase "The old
one looks more realistic)

Take no offense to my ranting.
Certainly Not!

--