 Year / 2001 / 144
143  |  145
Subject:
New Things in Certain Colours (was: rare colours in: Life on Mars)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.year.2001
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 21:10:09 GMT

In lugnet.space, Christian Gemuenden writes:
Hi Paul,

And does 7314 use the Paradisa light pink in it, or is it a new slightly
lighter red? Sounds good whatever it is.
From what I can see this "pink" is not from the Belville or Paradisa line
(and I own a lot of these). Instead, my guess is that it's one of the
'unpink' light red Scala colours that were released in 1997 and 1998 which
were then replaced by much stronger colours like orange, swamp green etc. A
good example of the two 'old' red Scala shades can be found in set 5404 (or
heck in nearly all Scala sets from 1997 and 1998). Just type in 5404 in the
pop up box above and you'll see what I mean. I have never seen these
non-pink light reds in any set besides Scala.

I am much more curious about the light purple. It could be the Belville
light purple that is mostly used for the large round Belville plates/bricks,
but could be a new one as well.
The light green (as seen in 7311) could be the new
*putinyourfavouritenamehere* green, but as it's not very grey-ish, I still
think it's the light green that has been used for Belville already.
More rare colours are swamp green (used for some alien bodies) and a new
blue-green that is used for some aliens as well: Look close enough at the
one in 7311 and you'll notice that this one comes from the Scala line as
well.
Wou will find it in 3108 (as well as the light purple) looking at the left
part of the image.

   The purple looks like the pastel lavender I get out of Belville
   sets, but that pink is a bit odd--if you look at Scala it has
   two sorts of pink, and I gather that the Life on Mars pink is
   the lighter of these two.

And 7312 is a really cute design, I'll definitely be making my own version
of that one.
It comes with this round smoke grey element and light grey wheels.

   Check this out:  I think 7310 has a *white* Star Wars engine...

Purple 8x8 dishes! D'ohhh, why couldn't they have used a few more purple
elements in the other sets? Sadly the purple spaceship is still a long way
off...
Hey, 3713 comes with a lot of useful light purple elements as well. Look
close and you'll notice two purple 'small space wings' as well as a light
purple 'windshield element' (I don't know the actual name but if you look at
3066 you will notice what I mean). You will find that piece right in the
cockpit of that mech. And don't forget all the slope bricks and the grill
tiles that can be found in there as well. They're certainly light purple.

   It's a new cockpit element, I think--perhaps a replacement for
   the now-seemingly-defunct multi-bend helicopter canopy.

   Have you noticed that a few sets also have the new Statue of
   Liberty green?  I'm referring to these pastels as 'Lik-M-Aid'
   colours, because that's what they all remind me of.

Hmm, I'm sure this has been said before somewhere, where is everyone
discussing the Mars play theme? I thought it'd be in .space.

I think this discussion should also be cross-posted into lugnet.colours :) .

   ...Perhaps it needs to be in .town (hey now, don't all boo me
   at once...)  But this is where it definitely belongs (/year/2001/)
   and I'd keep it in .space.

   best

   LFB