 Year / 1971 / 4
Re: Wonderful vintage [Samsonite 1971] LEGO just arrived -- what a treat!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.1971, lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:37:17 GMT

Paul Klenk wrote in message ...
I just received a box of vintage LEGO which I purchased on eBay.  It is set
120, the Samsonite Gift Set from ca. 1971.  Some great pieces in it, and • the
box is to die for!

GRAY TIRES!  I remember these from my childhood -- wheels with gray rubber
tires, around red hubs, with metal axles which you insert into a white 2x4
brick!  This white 2x4 brick is red underneath, which is quite cool.  Also,
there are holes on all four sides of the brick, so a narrow chassis can be
formed.  I only got two tires and one axle brick in this set, so of course • I
am suspicious that I am missing some; but no wheels are represented on the
box, so perhaps these wheels are a bonus from a completely different set.

Yes, I have a pile of these from my childhood.

PLATES are white, and are very strange underneath -- they resemble waffles.
Definitely not like the undersides of today's plates.

Take a look at Gary Istok's "History of Lego" series...
http://news.lugnet.com/?p=history-of-lego
scroll down and you'll find several articles on old plates, including these
"waffle bottom" ones.

1xN bricks are mostly hollow underneath, with a thin wall of plastic at the
interval of every two studs.  When these long narrow bricks are fitted
together, they don't snap very tightly -- in fact, they're quite loose.

Heh, yes I keep finding these in y 1x2 bins and having to put themon one
side becausethey don't stick well enough! My childhood collection is all
mixed in with the modern collection.

The different color shades are partly due to the different material -
Cellulose Acetate instead of the current ABS.

MYSTERIOUS CONNECTOR PIECE... I'll do my best to describe this:  It is
clear, but slightly milky.  It consists of TWO 2x2 plates, connected with a
narrow, flexible strip of plastic (but this mysterious piece is of course
from one die mold).  The flexible strip is equivalent in length to three
studs, so the total length is seven studs.  The "plates" are even thinner
than regular plates (less than one-third of a brick), and -- although they
have studs on the upper surface (with "LEGO" imprinted on them) -- the • lower
surface CANNOT connect to other bricks.  One of the "plates" is imprinted
with "A - 2" on the back; the other is imprinted "PAT. PEND." on the back.
The purpose of this piece seems to be some sort of vehicle connector,
attaching two vehicles while allowing "turning."  Sorry about the lack of
photos, but this slightly resembles the first LEGO Breathe-Rite strip!

Yes, it's a connector for vehicles.... darn, can't find any references to

bricks.  One blue brick seems suspiciously new to me, as it is a 2x2 Double
Convex.  It is curiously out of character with the rest of the set, but • what
the hekk do I know?

Like this?
http://img.lugnet.com/ld/3045.gif

Or this?
http://img.lugnet.com/ld/962.gif

Both were around in blue at that time, my examples are a slightly grey-er
blue than the current very bright blue, and have crisper texture on the
sloped parts. The second of those examples above is no longer made in any
color.

Kevin
Craftsman Lego Kits & Custom models: http://www.lionsgatemodels.com
1st Annual SYSTEM Creativity Contest: http://www.creativity-contest.net/