 Underground / 19
Re: same fig in three vehicles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.underground
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 05:54:40 GMT

In lugnet.underground, Jeff Johnston writes:
In lugnet.underground, Joseph Gonzalez writes:
I was looking through a catalog last night and noticed that the same minifig
appears in THREE of the four large RR vehicles:
Additionally, those are each one-man vehicles.  What's up with that, was it
in the minifig's contract?

I think it's an unfortunate side effect of the current LEGO trend of providing
names/personalities/etc for their 'cast of characters'

Perhaps it is also linked to the Computer game from Lego starring the rock
raiders?
Anyway Mr vehicle guy is not the only one to score. Ms hoverthingies has four
appearances (4910,4930,4980 and 4990). The rarest figs are orangepants and the
rockmonster (If you count him as a fig/character). In fact orangepants only
appears in the figbox and the large base set(Mr vehicle guy is the only one
*not* in the base.

Personally I like the characters for two reasons.
1) Lego isn't just about models, it's about storytelling and play.
I know that's something some AFOLs like to look down on (#), concentrating on
the static modeling (dust collecting) aspects, but it's clearly there in
LEGO's view of their product
and
2) Used in other themes charcter faces are great! E.g. Redbeard has appeared
as a mercenary general, a store clerk and as a hench-baddie in the desert
adventures.
My 0.65 cents (damn exchange rates)
James from Oz
(#) and yes, I'm an AFOL that still *plays* with lego.;)