 Trains / Train Organizations / SCLTC / 35
Re: SCLTC@GATS Images on Website!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org.scltc
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 01:47:51 GMT

I'm glad you like our inaugural layout. It was designed to be something
simple that we could get up in a hurry for display, but after we somehow
never got in to our first show we had more time to add details and
improvements.

My dad designed and built the rope stanchions that go around the layout, as
well as the ingenious mechanism to wind up the slack (the big white thing in
a couple photos). While the second rope did keep the kiddies out, there was
always a devoted train-loving individual who wanted to see the action up
close =). We thought the barriers gave us more freedom of movement, and made
us more obvious (we were INSIDE the barrier).

One major priority I had during the building process was to make each
section look like it belonged. Rather than a train layout, our display
became more like a city with its own zones; a seaport, an airport,
residential, commercial, industrial, etc. So to make it it look like a city,
one had to take into account roads, water, sea level (whoops! the bridges
would be two bricks above sea level! look carefully...), and other various
items. I also took into account public safety (fire escape ladders, warning
signs, fence posts...), and the NIMBY effect. I tried to avoid putting
residence near industry or an airport, like in real life. Usually,
residential areas have huge walls along railroad track sto act as sound
barriers, so I decided it would be a nice touch. The hardest part was the
ends, and the graceful curve to match that of the road and railroad.

With the wall came the drunk driver crashing into the wall, and with that
came cop cars, mtoorcycle chases, and various other minifig scenes that I
enjoy making. One of my friends came over one day and added the stooges
scene (the construction workers in front of the airport) and Superman (on
the airport roof). In a previous personal layout I had Neo from The Matrix
dodging a bullet in slow motion, but that was removed in this layout to
avoid cluttering things up.

My dad designed the In-N-Out, and I deisgned and my brother animated the
sign. I don't believe we necessarily "raved" about it, but it was sure a
welcome change to all the McDonalds restaurants we've seen in other layouts.
True to our cause, my dad took an order among our group and he and I went
out to bring back In-N-Out burgers for Sunday lunch = ).

I'm glad to hear comments about my radar dish. My dad and I battled about
what kind and size of radar dish to put in the airport, and got nowhere. But
with a day left before our first show, I decided I had to put something in
to fill the space. The elements used are simply the rounded bar fences in
white and green, not fully snapped together to allow it to bend slightly,
and attached to the base with a clip.

Paul designed the "Visit Us Online" billboard before we had even started
most other construction. I nagged him for not including our logo on it but I
guess from reaction that it was unnecessary = ).

John designed the scultped green and sand green trees for use in the park.
Everyone else had to use the pine tree elements.

Brian amazed the group by packing his impressive university into an area 2
baseplates by 5 baseplates large. Even more impressive was the fact that two
weeks before the show, it was just an empty green lot.

The infamous blue and black switcher is back! The little blue diesel which I
made in one night during GMLTC's display to run on their layout appeared on
PNLTC's layout with a whole bunch of cars. I didn't have the heart to take
it apart so it carried frieght cars at GATS too. Will you see it at
BricksWest? Stay tuned... = )

If anyone had difficulty or frustration navigating the image gallery, please
feel free to make suggestions. I intended to make it easy to find things
using a directory tree, but if that gets a little frustrating, I apologize.
In the future, I hope to include "previous" and "next" buttons to make
browsing through pictures ten times easier.

Our members got together after the show and planned out our bigger, better
layout for BricksWest 2002. It will feature all the good aspects of our
first layout, and adding (to name a few) an elevated train and a suspension
bridge. I hope like everyone else BricksWest will be a success and SCLTC
will be there no matter what to help out!

- Thomas Michon
Webmaster, www.scltc.org