 Trains / Train Organizations / 891
Re: Third Day Pics from Wilmington
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.ma
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 13:47:37 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.trains.org, Eric Kingsley writes:
Here are some third day pictures.  Details and web pages due in a couple
days.

What happened in pic 13? I thought the plane crash in yesterday's
(saturday's) pics, with all the emergency vehicles clustered round, was
interesting...

Was this more of the same, a metroliner crash?

Well... Ummm... Yah thats it.

That outside track is "awf'ly" close to the edge in my experience, and with
no crowd barriers, you're asking for a misplaced elbow to cause an
uncontrolled descent floorward. Is that what happened?

Uh. Yah.

The first day we had no serious accidents but on day 2 the Metroliner made the
trip twice.  Admittedly we were running the trains slower on day one.  My
theory that a slow train gives little ones and others time to get out of the
way.  On day 2 Tom Duggan (Its his train) wanted to run it faster.  His theory
was with a fast train people wouldn't reach into the layout so much.  I said
"well its your train" :-).  Anyway I went to get lunch and came back and I
found Tom doing this ;-) and I gave him my I told you smile.  Anyway it was
interesting that so many people crowded around Tom after the accident
thouroughly amazed that he could just put it back together again and throw it
back on the Tracks.

Anyway we are now considering plexiglass barriers for the next show.

Nice first show, guys, did you win any prizes? People's choice?

Well we did receive a certificate for "Excelence in Model Railroading".  I
guess they were out of ribbins but the show cordinator said a blue ribbon would
have gone with it.  I don't know what that means but he did say, rather
emphatically, "We want you guys back!".  We also were told more than once from
vendors and other model railroad club members that "we stole the show".

Not that we had much to do with it but it was announced that this was the most
successful show in Wilmington since 1989 (attendance wise).

We have a ton more stories to tell that we will get to later but I will say
that my wife told me that as she walked around the show all she heard was
people talking about the Lego layout and kids pleading to go back to the Lego
layout.

Anyway more to come soon,

Eric Kingsley

++Lar