 Trains / Train Organizations / 2789
Re: Train Show Layout Size Restrictions??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 21:24:22 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Kevin Salm wrote:
I just finished reading this thread about giant bridges--
http://news.lugnet.com/build/?n=15926

It got me to thinking about the amount of floor space such projects take up at
train shows.  A LOT.

Since this topic does not come up often, I have a few questions to ask:

·  has your club ever been denied show space due to the amount of square footage
(or meterage) requested?

·  has your club ever NOT been able to properly accomodate such a large
structure with rigid set-up requirements because the show organizers trimmed
your space or otherwise altered your space?

·  for huge structures such as bridges, what is the typical set-up time??  For
example, 4 club members times 2 hours = 8 hours.

Thanks for the responses.  My club (LUCNY) has not yet attempted anything on a
grand scale.  We lack manpower at shows for proper setup and I think we also are
limited by lack of motivation to some degree.  It seems like a lot of work for
two-day shows.

Also, I personally hold a fear that if our club requests too much space we will
be denied ANY space.  A lot, of course, depends on the venue and the event
organizers (local train club fundraiser versus GATS and Greenberg, for example).
Regardless, if paying vendors want the space, they get it before non-revenue
train layouts probably 90 percent of the time.  This is where Lego train clubs
who are well-known for the awesome layouts have an advantage, however, since we
all know that the Lego layouts are ALWAYS the most popular at ANY event. [grin]

Kevin Salm
LUCNY

Our (NALUG) last display was 45' x 25'.  It took in excess of 14 hours x 10
people = 140 man hours to set up.  And we were pretty close to killing each
other by the end.  I would suggest either a smaller, more detailed display or
one that is modular.

Mike

Mike