 Trains / Train Organizations / 2788
Re: Train Show Layout Size Restrictions??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 17:31:14 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Kevin Salm wrote:
   Since this topic does not come up often, I have a few questions to ask:

· has your club ever been denied show space due to the amount of square footage (or meterage) requested?

· has your club ever NOT been able to properly accomodate such a large structure with rigid set-up requirements because the show organizers trimmed your space or otherwise altered your space?

· for huge structures such as bridges, what is the typical set-up time?? For example, 4 club members times 2 hours = 8 hours.

Kevin-

Generally speaking, bridges are one of the best things to put in an LTC show. Our experience is that they install very quickly, transport easily, can be put in last so that the rest of the layout is accessible for assembly, are easier to crawl under than tables, and are very popular with audiences and particularly eye catching. In fact, I was toying with the idea a few days ago of proposing a layout consisting only of bridges.

SCLTC has not had a problem with space allocation in quite some time. Basically, our venues will give us all we want -- or the amount they give us is all we want to fill. One exception is the San Diego Model Railroad Museuem, where we are limited by the size of the room (and even there, we have expanded into the hall).

We have pretty much decided not to do 2 day shows anymore. We get the invitations, but turn them them down (Fullerton Railroad Days is the sentimental exception). The ratio of setup/teardown time and LEGO transportation costs to display time for a 2 day show is not worth it. We have done 1 GATS and that’s probably all we will ever do. The problem with them is they won’t commit until way past our internal deadlines to get ready. Consider: If you want to put out notice through TLC, TLS wants 12 weeks notice. But GATs won’t commit much more than 4 weeks in advance.

As I said regarding setup time, bridges go in as fast or faster than tables. Our 384 stud long cable stayed bridge and 288 stud long arch bridge each take two people about 5 minutes to install.

-Ted SCLTC