 Trains / Train Organizations / 2162
Re: MichLUG Table Specs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 15:47:01 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Chris Phillips writes:

NELUG is actually re-designing our tables for faster setup/breakdown at the
expense of strength.  We use mostly 40" square tables with a few half-width
tables here and there.  Our last layout was about 10' x 20' and just bolting
legs onto tables, etc. took (IIRC) five people nearly two hours.  Eric
Kingsley came up with an alternate design that uses PVC pipe inserted into
pressure-fit rings on the underside of the tables.

We went with folding legs we got from Rockler.com
(http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/findprod.cfm?&DID=6&ObjectGroup_Id=461&filter=legs&sku=1202
) , they bump the price up a little bit per table. But the time and space
saving was worth the cost. Also we've been using spring loaded clamps to
connect the tables together, this also is a big time saver for setup and
tear down. Anything that removes the need for tools is what we are shooting for.

Here is a shot of one of the protypes:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thinice/Misc/table1.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/thinice/Misc/table2.jpg

The actual tables will be a bith thinner (1x2 not 1x4) we have also added
slots on the side of the tables to hold the plexiglass in place with out
bolds or clamps.

jt