 Trains / Train Organizations / 1940
Re: Moment of Clarity or An Inspiration to the Rest of Us
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lucny, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 15:21:58 GMT

Crossposted to trains and trains.org for more visibility as I feel this is
pretty exciting stuff!

In lugnet.org.us.lucny, John Barnes writes:
Hi !

I like the overall scheme, although my knowledge in the general area of
trains and buildings etc is very sketchy yet.

But I am very keen to incorporate/infuse Mindstorms "stuff" into layout
automatation. I loved the jam-proof motorized point mechanism - it obviously
opens the door to automated routing.

I have a modest number of RCXs (I think I collect them like people collect
train motors ;) so it is quite in order to consider building an experimental
automated section of a layout. I am happy to make them available.

My suggestion would be that we allocate either an inner loop or outer loop
which is mainly seperate from other bits of the layout to try this kind of
stuff out. I would suggest an outer loop because I think it may be possible,
by use of track section isolation, to have more than one train on the loop
at the same time, perhaps a passenger train and a freight train.

Since I make the sensors, I can make as many as we need ;) So I think we
could do a really bang up job as a kind of show case demonstration of what's
possible.

I assume that someone is familiar enough with trackside buildings to know
what the best way is to disguise the train sensors - which are 1 1/3 high
black bricks facing length ways toward the track.

There are a myriad of small trackside buildings that can be used, as well as
equipment cabinets etc which are used for prototype signalling/switching
control. These are often grey or silver, so if your sensor bricks are grey
they can be part of a cabinet quite easily.

Any idea how to disguise all the wires that are going to appear. They could
look really ugly unless we hide them. Are there any parts that a model gas
pipeline could be built from to hide the wires inside perhaps? Of course,
I'd just make my own ;) Small radius castle arches clamping over some split
black or grey ABS tube might work.

Other clubs run wires underneath baseplates, or in the case of modular,
route them internally to the modules. Your ideas sound neat... I have not
yet seen them in practice but they should work.

I look forward to hearing more. I am endeavoring to obtain some limited
supplies of track, switches and train wheels so I can experiment with
isolation schemes etc etc. The "official" track connectors (thanks for the
donation by the way!) seem hard to find, even on ebay, so I may make some
combo isolation/connection track pieces. Should this be a mix of curves and
straights do you think?

LMKWYT

JB