 Trains / 9992
9991  |  9993
Subject:
Building a gravel silo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.build
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 12:12:32 GMT

I'm working on the inside of a gravel silo and I'm not completely happy with
it. The silo I have in mind dumps gravel into either a hopper waggon or into
a dump-truck.
Currently I have two designs: (warning bad ascii art)
T = the truck
H = the hopper
[] = end of conveyor belt

| [] |
| /\ |
|/  \|
T    H

Much easier to build plus it can pre-store the material. It needs two
shutters and the biggest disadvantage is the distribution of gravel over the
two compartments

[]
|\\ - part can slide to the side
||\\
|| \\
T   H

The second design I have been working on uses a sloped part that 'slides' in
and out the chute to select the direction the gravel drops. I have been
experimenting with this design, it works okay but it needs an extra building
to store the gravel. It is also much bigger than the first design.

I was wondering if anyone tried something like this and what worked best.
I have also been searching for good reference material (the best thing I
could find is a small picture in a Kibri catalog) It's a big (white)
building with office blocks and a huge square tower where dumptrucks and
hopper cars can pass underneath.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Frank