 Trains / 9925
Re: Motorized Railroad Crossing Lift-Gate Plans
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 16:17:25 GMT

I've been trying to build a dual one (i.e. a gate on each side of the
rails), but I keep having trouble keeping the sides in synch.

If I use two motors, they seem to turn at slightly different rates so the
gates don't line up after a while.

I tried to use one motor with an axel going under the tracks to drive the
other gate, but the gearing leading to the second gate uses up a bit of
travel so the second gate always lags behind the first and can't travel far
enough.

The rich man's solution would be to hook up a mindstorms unit with 2
rotation sensors and 2 motors and have them independently raise and lower
(i.e. you would have one sensor trigger both, but they would be running
separate software threads).  Unfortunately, that's big money!

Have you ever attempted to syncrhonize two of these gates?

Chris Phillips <chris.phillips@computerboards.com> wrote in message
I just posted building instructions for my motorized railroad crossing
lift-gates on BrickShelf:

I'm working on a set of instructions for my lighted "railroad crossing" • sign
next.  I eventually hope to tie it all up with a formal write-up about • that
reed switch train sensor.

I originally built this as part of the NELUG train layout, but I thought
others might benefit from these plans.