 Trains / 9391
Re: Has anyone motorized the monorail station tracks?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 02:14:39 GMT

"Brad Hamilton" <bhamilto1@home.com> wrote in message

It seems like an even cooler idea would be to pair that with a rotation or
touch sensor plus a mindstorms unit to automatically have the monorail
start/stop at the station.

Has anyone done this?

Has anyone posted designs or pictures of something like this?

I *did* try doing this about a month ago... I mounted a 2x2 cylindrical
brick with axle hole on top of the direction-changing element/track piece.
Then, I mounted a 24 tooth gear on an axle sticking up from the 2x2
cylinder. That was worm-driven from a gearmotor from your standard
MindStorms kit. A rotation sensor provided position feedback. This failed;
although I'm sure the people who have been able to motorize the 9V points by
constructing non-self-destructive designs will be able to better implement
this.

I next tried maing my "own" direction changer by constructing wedges on
either side of the track which were retractable; that failed miserabally. :)

I'm sure it can be done; It's going to take a lot of work to make it small
and compact and functional, however. I think the micromotor is out (or maybe
my direction change track pieces are just very ceazed!).

    Iain