 Trains / 9293
Re: 2001 UK catalogue
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 12:43:48 GMT

In lugnet.trains, David Graham writes:
I received my 2001 UK lego catalogue.
It contains no new trains, and just 5 items.
4515 straight track,
4520 curved track,
4556 train station,
4561 fast passenger train set (it has been renamed) &
4565 goods train set (also renamed).

The most interesting thing is that the catalogue says
2001 January - June, so maybe there will be new trains
in July.

I presume that refers to the whole catalogue, not just trains?  If so there
could be an even longer wait.

It does remind me of 1991 when there were no new 12V
trains for several years then the 9V trains were released.

David

Exactly.  It doesn't mean that new trains will be arriving in July.  But, I
hope that they do.  Having got back in to Lego over the last few years,
Trains is one area I want to get into.  But, I'm not going to buy into it if
they're bringing in a new (digital?) system and making some of the current
stuff redundant.

Hopefully for the collectors out there it would only mean a change to the
motors, power supply and points - it would be really nasty to change the
couplings.  I can't see any reason to change the track width or anything either.

How big is digital for model railways in the rest of the world?  It's
unheard of in the UK high street.  It's generally left to mail order
modification kits in hobbyist magazines.  I know it's big in Germany, where
adult collectors spend a lot more on some incredibly accurate models -
though I don't know if there are more mass-market 'average' quality models
around over there.  What about the rest of Europe, or the US?

Like a lot of people, I'm interested in making classic (British) steam
locomotives, but Lego don't make this sort of thing.  Probably because
they're too parochial, so we get generic european trains instead.  And Larry
keeps up the US end of things ;)  I'm wishing for large drive wheels, but
I'm not holding my breath.

Jason.