 Trains / 9230
Re: new trains?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.fun, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 07:56:31 GMT

In lugnet.fun, Chris Gray writes:
As one of the people who doesn't know what it is, I'm darned near dying
of curiosity. So, it ocurred to me that one of the best ways of getting
someone to spill the beans, is to have lots of discussion about it so
that someone accidentally makes a correction or hint that lets it all
fall into place. So, lets speculate!

  I'd love to see them adopt some DCC-controlled motors, so that we
don't have to do the surgery ourselves (even though Thomas Cook at
WAMALTC has posted an excellent pictorial guide for those who dare
to try!)

  The current motors also pass the track power up to electrical
contacts on top of the motor, so I can forsee a LEGO DCC accessory
brick, providing 2 or 4 outputs, and programmable steam or deisel
sounds, plus bells, and directional (Rule 17?) lighting!

  Of course, we'd then need a single-axle wheelset, with metal-
flanged wheels and pickup contacts, to we could draw track power
into coaches for lighting and etc. (And we'd need 2x6 electrical
plates, to that we could joint the electrical wheelset to a plain
wheelset under a bogie-plate, and still allow the power pickup
cable to be attached to the end opposite from the coupler...as
well as having the 1x2 vertical and horizontal light bricks!)

  We'll also need the DCC controllers, or at least an encoder
brick to take analog voltages from our existing controllers
and turn that into signals for some cab number...and the LEGO
12-V power supplies. (Does that mean we can get LEGO 12-V lamps
again for buildings and platforms! :-)

  Can we get a 2x2 electrical plate, so we can have roof-mounted
lighting? That is, studs on top, bulb on the bottom, so I can
illuminate a variety of brick/fixtures? (I suppose I could do
some surgery on a couple of 1x2 electrical plates...)

  Now, can we add another color to the bulk train windows and
doors every couple months?  Maybe white or yellow next, and
green by June? (Think of all the Burlington Northern trains
we could model!) On the other hand, if we have white and red
by June, we could have red, white, and blue Freedom Trains for
Canada Day and Independence Days in July! ;-)

  I was inspired to read up on DCC after looking at Thomas' page,
but I have yet to do the work. On the other hand, it *would* make
it easier to do all of the track power for my round house, and I
*have* been working on some passenger coaches that could benefit
from some DCC lighting lately... ;-)

    -Z-    http://www.baylug.org/zonker/ZRondDom.html